Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win2K3 Srv Creating New User Accounts On Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GreenGhost

GreenGhost

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:12 AM

My Win2K3 Server is creating a new user profile when it boots up, instead of using the existing profile.
For example, assume the profile is called "USER"
It is creating a new profile named "USER.DOMAIN"

The new "USER.DOMAIN" profile appears to have migrated all the settings from the "USER" profile, so that it's almost impossible to tell them apart.

My problem is that this profile doesn't seem to be able to access the DHCP nor DNS server (as well as other services) and the other Win2K3 server, which is the BDC.

I have tried to remove the HDD from the machine and on another windows machine, remove the directory "USER.DOMAIN" and place it on a USB key. Then put the drive back in and boot up again. It just creates another "USER.DOMAIN" profile again but this time all the settings were also lost as if it created a completely new USER profile from scratch.

I would need to have it revert back to the original "USER" profile so that everything is functional again.

I would also like to know how this happened and why, if someone would be kind enough to explain that to me.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: this is a user profile issue not a user account issue. 

Edited by GreenGhost, 12 February 2016 - 09:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

Welcome To Bleeping Computer :welcome: 

Please Follow these instructions from Microsoft Support and see if that fixes the issue. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 bakfou

bakfou

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:22 AM

Try to rejoining the machine to the domain with another credentials. Check the active directory and erase the computer and then rejoin using different credentials. Try to use the same credentials of the user who are going to use the machine to join to the domain.

I have read somewhere that using the same credentials on multiples machines can result on some computers losing the AD sync

#4 GreenGhost

GreenGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Sneakycyber.   The link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324734 that you gave me is CLOSE to helpful but when I read it carefully it does the reverse of what I would like to do.

I want to retrieve the previous profile.

For example, explorer looks like this:

Documents and Settings

Usernameone

Usernameone.Domain

All Users

Default User

Right now, when I log in, the login is EXACTLY the same, except that now the current profile is not the 'Usernameone' profile, it's the 'Usernameone.Domain' profile.  (If I open a DOS prompt, I can see the current user profile name - AND ALSO - In Win Expl. I see that "my documents" folder is not listed in Usernameone's profile subdirectory.  It's listed as 'Usernameone's Documents') 

What I want to do is restore the current user to 'Usernameone'.   I want to log in using 'Usernameone'.  Also, I DO NOT want to use Username.Domain's profile.  So I want to log into windows server using the Usernameone username and have the current user be 'Usernameone'.  I mean I don't want to just rename the C:\ Documents and Settings \ Usernameone.Domain's folder to 'Usernameone'.  I want to have windows use the orginal  C:\ Documents and Settings \ Usernameone profile.   ---whew, that's complicated to write out

Is it possible to do that?

Do you know how to do it?

PS: I can see the SID of 'Usernameone' in the file permissions list.  It has a  '? Account Unknown' in front of it.

If I haven't been clear, just let me know.  I'll try to re-explain.

#5 GreenGhost

GreenGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

bakfou, thanks also but I'm not sure that will work.  Actually you're correct about the account though.  There is the same account on both DCs.

Edited by GreenGhost, 18 February 2016 - 03:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users