Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer not loading past bios screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel1786

Rachel1786

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hi, I originally posted in the windows crashes form and someone I suggested posting in this form.
I have a custom built computer (my brother built it), it's very lightly used, lately I've just been using it to upload photos and use photoshop. Anyway today MSI scan said there was a bios update available so I went through all the steps to download and install, it said the computer would restart. The computers screen went black (like it shut down) but the tower lights and fans stayed on. I thought maybe it was still doing something so I left it alone but after over an hour nothing had changed, I did a force shut down (holding the power button until it turned off) but now when I turn the computer back on it won't get past the MSI screen where it says to press del to run bios setup it f11 to run boot menu. I've tried pressing both but nothing happens. Also the computer doesn't have a cd drive so I can't repair with the bios disc or windows disc. Please help!
Forgot to add, currently running windows 10 and the motherboard is an MSI a88xm-e45

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

I'm afraid you may have BIOS corruption. If you can't enter BIOS setup, your computer may be beyond repair. I strongly recommend contacting MSI Support. For future reference, it is not necessary to update BIOS unless you are having hardware issues.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

Never flash the BIOS unless you have a very good reason and have done it before. At this point you can try resetting it back to factory default, but if the update (called a flash) went bad and corrupted the BIOS itself this won't help. But it won't hurt either.

In your users' manual that came with the motherboard you will find a jumper switch on the motherboard that you move from one side to the other, and that clears the CMOS entirely. Power down; unplug your computer from the wall socket; push the power switch to clear the capacitors; remove the BIOS battery; move the Clear CMOS jumper per your book instructions, usually from one set of pins to another, wait 10 seconds, then move back into original position. Replace the battery and try to boot. Now...if your board does not have a clear jumper or you just can't find it,  then skip that step. Just remove the battery with the power cord disconnected, wait 5 minutes and replace. Try to power up.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

I have yet to understand a reason why users tey to fix what isn't broken.  Then it usually does wind up BROKE.  Luckily the factory reset should get the BIOS loaded from the firmware and not the flash BIOS chip.

#5 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

Thank you guys, I had no idea about not updating the bios, the MSI live update kept saying to update so I assumed it was necessary :-(
Will doing the above steps erase the hard drive or is it too late for the hard drive already. I had just uploaded pics from my camera and stupidly didn't back them up before doing the update, I'll be devastated if I lose them.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

I have never heard of such a reset... the only bios reset is the CLR_CMOS which resets BIOS settings to their factory values... I could be mistaken though.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

Besides the factory setting in the BIOS itself, a hardware reset would also work, almost the same as the CMOS reset that happens when the CMOS battery fails.  No, you should not lose anything.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

When the CMOS battery dies, the settings (CMOS) get get reset. The computer doesn't revert to a previous BIOS version. The issue the OP is describing will likely NOT be fixed by a CMOS reset, though there's nothing stopping them from trying.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

CMOS batteries have a strange way of failing, often intermittent settings or failure to save settings.  IF you can't get into the BIOS at all from start up, the hardware needs a reset, often a jumper on the MOBO or around the CMOS battery holder.  Corrupted BIOS down loads seem to be on the increase, along with OS updates for different WIN versions.  Like a random glitch that happens during the download process and the file is corrupted and turns into garbage.  With just the CPU screen, the unit is trying to follow the rest of the steps from there but it isn't executable. That version of the BIOS resides in the flash chip, the only place that is "writeable".  The BIOS version that came with the machine resides in the firmware chip, firm meaning it can't be changed once written. 

#10 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

So I found the manual and "clear CMOS jumper" and the location of the jumper on the motherboard but I have no idea what to do with it, I don't see any kind of plastic covering (I've been googling) I took the battery out so I could get a better pic (flash kept reflecting off it) can anyone explain what I have to do.

Attached Files

#11 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Well apparently leaving the battery out while I typed this did something lol

Computer is on now lol
Thanks!

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

Good, the CMOS reset enabled the BIOS to point to your hard disk so that Windows can load.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yea, removing the battery performs the same function as shorting the CLR_CMOS jumper. Make sure to fix the system time in the BIOS, and try to avoid updating it in the future unless you are having serious hardware detection issues and know what you're doing :)

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

I have a couple thousand units that a client had ordered and received three years ago.  Just now the CMOS batteries are beginning to fail.  Normal corporate machines, only on for 8 hours, off the rest.  The batteries don't last forever, but are only in use when the unit is off, to hold the BIOS settings and keep the clock running.  Normally the reset jumper is just a pair of pins, with a jumper berg (little plastic chip) on one pin, you move the jumper to cover both pins for one minute and then replace back in the single pin.  That resets the hardware configuration back to factory defaults and loads from the firmware, not the flash chip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users