Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen completely white when turned on.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KS89

KS89

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hello,

Since today, my custom made laptop gets a white screen the second I turn it on. If I plug it to an external monitor, that external monitor works, tried both HDMI and thunderbolt>VGA adapter (yeah my laptop isn't a Mac but has a thunderbolt port.. idk.)

I've read around and found this posted fairly often; http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop-lcd-screen-turned-white/

I'm not too scared to crack open the bottom part of my laptop (I've done it before to re-adjust a hard drive that bumped out). Speaking of which, even though I should, I don't treat this laptop too well, I lug it around in my backpack and it might take a few bumps every now and then. Dumb I know, it's a $2500 laptop.

Now the real issue is that I'm not very hardware savvy but I'm not retarded either. However, I don't know which PART of my laptop I should open to find the "connection between video cable and LCD screen" as per the instructions on that webpage. Am I opening the bottom part under my laptop where the HDD was? Am I opening the keyboard and looking under? Am I opening the screen itself? From the front? From the back? How? There are no screws!

If you'd like pictures, I can provide them.

Here are the specs of the laptop;

1 x Sager NP9377-S (Clevo P377SM-A) () = $2,154.01 Graphics Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980M (8.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (Maxwell) [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU01X) Thermal Compound FREE! - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Processor Sager - 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4810MQ (2.8GHz - 3.8GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU401) Display 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - SSC002) Fingerprint Reader Integrated Fingerprint Reader Battery Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell) Sound Card Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included Camera Integrated Digital Video Camera Memory Card Reader Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo) Wireless Network Sager - Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFI94) Bluetooth Bluetooth Included With select wireless cards only (See “Wireless Network” Section Below) Optical Drive Bay 6X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (Sager) (SKU - ODD084) Primary Hard Drive 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDX97) mSATA SSD Drive ( Slot 1 ) Remove - mSATA mSATA SSD Drive - Configuration Option Non-RAID Storage Exterior Finish - Graphic & Textured Wraps Standard Laptop Finish Ram 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [2x8GB] Kingston HYPER X (CL9) Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAMX99) Branding Remove All Branding Warranty LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Technical Support (Labor through XPC) Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs (SKU - WTY099) The XOTIC PC Difference * 24/7 LIFETIME U.S. based technical support * Extreme QA testing by dedicated technicians * 24-72 Hour stress testing and benchmarking to ensure top performance and stability Build Time Standard Production Time

Thank you, I hope that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brokenaspiree17

brokenaspiree17

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:40 AM

I have the same issue going on with my laptop and after extensive reading I am pretty sure it is the video cable running from the back of my lcd screen to my motherboard.  As far as disassembly goes, there isnt anything to be afraid of...yes you do have a pretty advanced or complicated laptop, but disassembly doesnt take a degree or a lot of smarts....just clear you a nice area on a table, make sure you have a screwdriver that fits your needs, and a way to hold different screws that you remove.  You can use solo cups if u wanted to keep the different screws separated.  You can also take your cell phone camera and photograph things along the way in case u forgot how something went together.  But for the easiest solution is to grab a second laptop, and follow along with this video.  I guides you step by step through disassembling your laptop completely.  You obviously dont need to take EVERYTHING apart, but it will show you how to get access to your LCD video cable so you can check or replace it.  Then just move backwards to put everything back together.    

#3 KS89

KS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:11 PM

Turned out to be a defective LCD screen and we had to have it replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users