Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help with Audio and BIOS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GREEN00

GREEN00

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

I need help updating my BIOS and my audio. I am running onboard audio. I know it has to be out of date because I don't remember ever trying to update it. As far as the BIOS goes, I "think" I have a PHOENIX "asus" motherboard. the Model is a A8N5X. A8N5X is what I see on my startup screen right when I click to power up my computer. 

The last time I tried updating my bios though I went to Phoenixs website and there were wanting to charge me to download a program to update my bios. Is there a free way to update my bios?

Like I said I really need the help. I have never updated a bios, but I thought it might really come in handy.

If you need any information to be able to further help me please let me know. I greatly thank you for your help if you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

Do you have a problem that would suggest you need to do such updates?

Neither the BIOS nor drivers go "out of date" as such.

If both are operating correctly, then things are often best left as is.

There is a small risk of failure associated with a BIOS update, and that leads to the usual advice that if there isn't a specific issue you are experiencing that can be cured by a BIOS update, then it's probably better not to worry about it. If you do wish to update, the correct one issued by the board manufacturer must be used. The BIOS versions for the A8N5X can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/21/6/1/23/

Comparing with the existing version will indicate if there is any issue addressed in later versions that would benefit you.

Again with drivers, some updates are issued frequently, but that is usually the likes of video drivers to address issues like game compatibility, and bug fixes which are more likely to be required in frequently modified drivers. Drivers for solid, well established hardware may never really need updating. The drivers provided by ASUS for that board date from 2005 and are XP drivers, unless we include Vista drivers that are in beta status. What Windows version is installed on the system?

http://www.asus.com/supportonly/A8N5X/HelpDesk_Download/

Edited by Platypus, 11 February 2016 - 08:52 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

Yeah I have a game called Rainbow Six : Vegas that doesn't want to open and one of the guy suggested that I try updating my bios and my sound to see if this would allow me to open the game. The game crashes on launch. Plus I thought updating my bios would update other things associated with my hardware (software for my hardware), such as my sound drivers and such, since I run onboard sound. What do you suggest? 

I am running windows XP.

Edited by GREEN00, 11 February 2016 - 09:15 PM.

#4 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

bump

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

BIOS = Basic Input Output System and is involved with with the POST (power on self test system) and starting up a computer. Once the computer has started the OS takes over and the BIOS has no further part to play.

Updating the BIOS will have no effect on your system hardware or software, particularly with regard to audio and video drivers.

Looking at system requirements for this game, they seem quite demanding, particularly with regard to the CPU. It would be worth your while to google something like "Rainbow 6 : Vegas minimum PC requirements" to check this for yourself. I suspect that your problem is more likely to lie with either your CPU or your graphics card. It is very unlikely to revolve around your audio card/drivers as audio does not make large demands on system resources.

I go with Platypus - don't update your BIOS unless there is a problem with starting up your computer.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

ok I won't mess with the bios then because I just recently reset the bios to default because I had "back in the day" overclocked my cpu and memory a little, so since I was wondering about things I just set it back to default.Which is a good thing I think. As far as the system requirements go, I pass all minimum requirements and all recommended requirements except for the recommended cpu. But still I pass the cpu minimum so that shouldnt be the problem. Also just to clear things up a bit. A long time ago when I first bought that game like 7 years ago it opened just fine and played. But now I have had so much trouble and never can get it to open. Not once have a I succeeded and I have been talking with the game creators and we have tried all types of different things to try to get it to open with no luck.

Might just be the PC or it could be something else as some of the support techs that created the game say.

Ohh well. The game is not a big deal to me, I don't have to play it. I am more just trying to update things but since you think I shouldn't mess with the BIOS I will not. I don't want to run into more problems, that is all I need. "Not". Lol.

Thanks for the support.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

Apologies for being absent from the discussion, the internet in my town was down for 3 days.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Apologies for being absent from the discussion, the internet in my town was down for 3 days.

That is really strange. After 1 hour I would call the police, the internet is that important.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

It's no problem. I am just glad you have helped me, sir. Thanks again!

Can anyone help me decide or not if I need to update my Audio or just leave it alone? 

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

Unless you are having problems with your audio  - stuttering, distortion or even non-playing - I would leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !" is always good advice.

Another point to bear in mind is that most of the speakers connected to most computers are fairly low-end for audio quality. Given reasonable to good hi-fi grade speakers it is almost always worthwhile putting a dedicated sound card in, but with fairly standard 'computer' loudspeakers this isn't really necessary. And if your audio is working without problems I would just leave your drivers alone.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#11 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

Unless you are having problems with your audio  - stuttering, distortion or even non-playing - I would leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !" is always good advice.

Another point to bear in mind is that most of the speakers connected to most computers are fairly low-end for audio quality. Given reasonable to good hi-fi grade speakers it is almost always worthwhile putting a dedicated sound card in, but with fairly standard 'computer' loudspeakers this isn't really necessary. And if your audio is working without problems I would just leave your drivers alone.

Chris Cosgrove

Will do. I will just leave it be. It's a wayyy to old anyways, I am almost about to get rid of it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users