Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Non-System Disk Error" or "Disk Error" AND MORE

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 DConf

DConf

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605054/non-system-disk-error-or-disk-error-and-more/

The hard drive has Windows 8 now so I want to try fixing that first. Because I know the files are fine, the same Windows 8 files are on another laptop and that laptop works fine.

I just used TestDisk to make sure the hard drive is OK and to copy the files, recycle bin etc from one hard drive to the other.

How can I fix it?

When I used the Windows 8 repair disc :

When I tried refreshing or resetting the PC:
The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.​

COMMAND PROMPT

bootrec /fixmbr
The operation completed successfully.
bootrec.exe /fixboot
The operation completed successfully.
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
Please wait, since this may take a while.
Successfully scanned Windows installlations.
Total Identified Windows Installations: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A):

Y
the requested system device cannot be found.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'd get some stand alone hard drive diagnostics and run them.  What is the make and age of your hard drive?  According to Backblaze, Seagate drives have had abnormally high failure rates.  See one of their reports here:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/ .

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DConf

DConf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

The hard drive works fine, I can read all the files when I use HD enclosure to another laptop. I can not install Speccy because Windows does not work - it just comes up with a black screen and says "non system disk error or disk error".

I had another thread about this in Windows crashes, BSOD, and hangs help and support forum and they forwarded me here. Please read the other thread to understand more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605054/non-system-disk-error-or-disk-error-and-more/

Any ideas how to fix it?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:18 PM

"...non system disk error or disk error..."   This happens even with no usb stick attached, correct?

I ask 'cause that happens to me if I have a nonBootable usb stick in any one of my usb ports.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 DConf

DConf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

Correct. No USB stick or anything else attached when that error happens

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

The disc that I'm requesting that you create will need to be made on another properly running computer.  Once the disc is created you will have a bootable disc which will perform a diagnostic test of your hdd.

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:55 PM

If I'm reading your posts correctly (here and in the link you gave), you copied from another disk to the one you're trying to boot from, but haven't done an INSTALL to it.  If so, that's your problem.  You've got to do an install or you'll never be able to boot from that hard drive.  If you don't have the install disc, you're simply going to have to borrow one or just go and buy one.  I see Amazon is still selling them.

Good luck.

#9 DConf

DConf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

Arachibutyrophobia​ I will have access to a desktop with a CD burner in a few days and will include the results as soon as possible.

Niweg, that is correct. I copied all of the Windows 8 files from a functioning Windows 8 laptop (using TestDisk as it copies files that can not be copied through Windows) to the other hard drive as I wanted to see if that fixes the issue.

The other laptop is fine and since I copied all of the files I don't see why it wouldn't work? Why would I need to do an INSTALL to it for it to work? Since I don't have the installation disc, is there any other way to copy the INSTALL from one hard drive to the other?

Thanks

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Copying system files from one disk to another will only work under the following conditions.  (1) By copying you mean CLONING.  Otherwise you don't get the boot sector set up like you need.  (2) The two computers have to be close to IDENTICAL.  This is because a Windows install customizes drivers and helper apps to the particular configuration you install to.  If there are differences, it simply doesn't work, usually giving you a BSOD with some cryptic code.

Good luck.

#11 DConf

DConf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

(1) Would copying with TestDisk qualify as cloning? If not, what software would you use to clone?

(2) How do I know if a hard drive was cloned properly? I copied my hard drive with the Windows Vista installation (using TestDisk) before formatting the hard drive, how do I know if I copied it properly?

(3) If I didn't clone/copy it properly, is there any way to fix it and get my old Windows Vista installation working again?

(4) How identical do the two computers have to be?

Thanks

#12 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:08 AM

DConf, on 16 Feb 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:DConf, on 16 Feb 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:DConf, on 16 Feb 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:DConf, on 16 Feb 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:DConf, on 16 Feb 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:DConf, on 16 Feb 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:

(1) Would copying with TestDisk qualify as cloning? If not, what software would you use to clone?

(2) How do I know if a hard drive was cloned properly? I copied my hard drive with the Windows Vista installation (using TestDisk) before formatting the hard drive, how do I know if I copied it properly?

(3) If I didn't clone/copy it properly, is there any way to fix it and get my old Windows Vista installation working again?

(4) How identical do the two computers have to be?

Thanks

1. Testdisk does not appear to me to be cloning software.  I assume that this is the product - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

For cloning software, see the list of software in this Wiki article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_cloning_software

2. The only way I can think of to prove the clone successful - copy it to a system HDD and try and boot the system - see if it works. All cloning software has safeguards in place to help ensure a successful clone.

I don't know whether your Vista copied files are good or not, but the only files of any value are your personal files. The Windows Vista OS files are not really useful at this point. You can't use them to build a Vista ISO file needed for a Vista OS installation onto your system's HDD. Furthermore, all of the installed programs files are useless. You would need the program installation files to reinstall them on your new system.

3. No, not from the Testdisk files. You need a Windows Vista ISO to install Vista or a Vista image from your system manufacturer.

What you could do is contact the system manufacturer and purchase Vista install media. Most manufacturers charge a reasonable price. I once had to purchase install media from HP -- the charge was ~$30.

4. Basically, same serial number but one digit off. All hardware must be identical - BIOS, CPU, HDD, RAM, motherboard, etc...

Moreover. . .

We're probably dealing with an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of Windows here. "OEM" as in Dell, HP, Sony, etc... where Windows came pre-installed on the system that you bought. OEM version Windows are forever tied to the system it was installed on and cannot be transferred to another system under any circumstances. OEM version Windows dies with the physical system it was installed on. Full retail version Windows can be transferred to another system, with only one system in use at a time, of course.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2 

Edited by jcgriff2, 17 February 2016 - 12:16 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#13 DConf

DConf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

Thanks, your answer explains a lot. I have just a couple more questions.

(1)  What makes a successful clone? What files need to be copied? I want to check if they exist in the clone/copying I made using TestDisk.

(2) I really wanted my old Windows Vista installation to work again with all of my programs and everything. If the files that needed to be copied (question 1) do not exist in the clone/copying made using TestDisk, is there any way to copy those files from another system and it would work and boot, or re-install Windows Vista with a new installation disc, then delete all of the new Windows Vista installation files and copy the old Windows Installation files to it? Is there ANY way at all to make the old installation work with all of the programs, settings, passwords etc?

(3) Is it possible the OEM version of Windows 8 did not copy/clone successfully and came up with the Non System Disk or Disk Error because it cannot be transferred or is that because of TestDisk and not a cloning software? What error would come up if the OEM version of Windows was the problem?

Thanks

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

DConf, IF such things, as copying OS from source to target and getting said OS to work on the target, are even possible -- the GEEKINESS involved would probably take several pages of high-end registry/high-end OS hacking of the highest order [of which I know absolutely nothing about].

Me thinks a clean install may be in your foreseeable future.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#15 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

Dconf, I think you've gotten your questions pretty much answered.  I still haven't seen where you said if the system whose hard drive you copied is the same as the one you're trying to get running.  If they're not the same, it doesn't matter WHAT you do, even if you have a perfect clone of the original hard drive, it simply isn't going to work for reasons that have already been given.  I'm sorry you don't have install discs, but you've got to face the reality that you apparently need them.  You should be able to find someone who has them who'll let you copy theirs or just bite the bullet and buy them.  They're still on sale in stores and online.  If you copy somebody else's install discs, that will work if you put in the key for the system you're trying to get running, assuming that system had a valid activated key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users