Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Free Windows 10 Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware Combos

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CompLayman

CompLayman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

Are there any free, updated and/or recent Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware combos that could offer better protection than windows defender for windows 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions such as Sophos, Panda,and Avira see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Also see Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 russ0408

russ0408

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

I just installed Sophos Home this morning. They have a stable version now in Softpedia. It's light and a really good web blocker. No nag screens or asking to upgrade. I really like it. Maybe you could give it a try.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

That is good to hear, especially no nag screens or prompts to update.

#5 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

Are there any free, updated and/or recent Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware combos that could offer better protection than windows defender for windows 10?

Depending on your system specifications, I would suggest in an AV and AM with accordance with your system hardware specifications. How much RAM (4 gigabtyes, 8 gigabytes... and what processor do you run (Intel Xeon 3.2GHz or Pentium Duel Core 1.9Ghz) ?

With this, your performance will NOT be jeopardized as I would recommend you an antivirus as such. More often than not, users install an antivirus and notice a tremendous lag or choke with their computer, sometimes undesirably.

What are your system specifications? The said AVs are an excellent option, depending on your system specifications.

Edited by InsufficientFunds, 14 February 2016 - 01:01 PM.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and Emsisoft Anti-Malware leave such a small footprint, it really doesn't matter what the systems specs are for most users.

#7 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and Emsisoft Anti-Malware[/b] leave such a small footprint, it really doesn't matter what the systems specs are for most users.

Those are absolutely amazing AV and AM recommendations. Those would be what I recommend, then comes the debate on the detection rates and whatnot on the AVs. I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, has never failed me yet. I used to use ESET and stopped after checking out AV Comparatives.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, objectivity and data results. Read Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization: AMTSO Fundamental Principles of Testing.

Each security vendor uses their own testing/analysis methodology to identify various types of malware so the detection results are not always the same.Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TESTs new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual testthey may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same certification as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

#9 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, objectivity and data results. Read Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization: AMTSO Fundamental Principles of Testing.

Each security vendor uses their own testing/analysis methodology to identify various types of malware so the detection results are not always the same.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TESTs new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual testthey may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same certification as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

Thanks for the history lesson. I was always such interfering factors existed, but I liked the reads I skimmed.

What I extrapolated is that it's really up to the user and his or her experience to evaluate the results, and to see how it reacts on their system.

Nearly every computer is different, and it will have different resources here and there.

That post in itself is actually a whole new topic discussion thread.

Edited by InsufficientFunds, 14 February 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

...What I extrapolated is that it's really up to the user and his or her experience to evaluate the results, and to see how it reacts on their system....

Yes... A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. They may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for their needs.

#11 staceymatthews

staceymatthews

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:31 AM

I got comodo av for Windows 10 right after getting my free upgrade. A friend from work swore by Comodo's AV, and that's what I have now. Looks great, and performs even better!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:23 AM

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users