Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 update removed Irfanview associations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DAE1948

DAE1948

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Latest Win10x64Pro update converted all Irfanview image associations

back to the Windows "Photos"  app.  I tried reinstalling both 32 and 64 

bit versions of Irfanview, and Win10 now immediately changed the

associations back again. 

Any ideas how to set associations to Infanview, or do I have to wait for a new release?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

You changed your file associations inside of Infanview, correct?

#3 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

Locating the Irfan program file in it's respective installation folder and choosing with right click "compatibility problems" solved that problem for me. Afterwards you should under "System - Apps" give Irfan the standards of your choice - from inside Irfan didn't work for me.

I also removed the stupid MS Photo completely.

To remove an embedded application (I don't think you can get them back without a fresh install of Windows)

Run Windows Powershell as administrator
    To get the package list, type: Get-AppxPackage | Select Name,PackageFullname
    To remove packages like Xbox, type: Get-AppxPackage xbox | Remove-AppxPackage

(You can use paste-and-copy from this source)

With the Pro-version you can also try to disable Photo via "run" and gpedit.msc

Greetings from Germany

Curly

P.S.: I use the german Win10 - sorry if menu entries are not translated correctly, but you should get the idea ...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

See this post. A bug in Windows 10 is setting apps back to Windows default.

#5 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

Hi, JohnC,

I am aware that there a A LOT of annoying, if not even deadly bugs in Win10 - but for some you can find at least workarounds until MS finally decides to do something about them - and that can take years!

Greetings,

Curly

#6 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

P.S.: Sometimes I get the idea, that what we consider to be a bug is inserted intentionally by MS to try to force us to use MS products rather than free software, and buy MS products for money to get rid of artificially MS-created problems with free software - for example LibreOffice: running great and fine under previous Wins, now strange behavior until you find the workaround; or of course Irfan, which actually was the subject here. The forums in Germany are also full with software problems since Win10, which never were there before.

Even considering that Win10 is a rather new product (serving all different platforms from smartphones to tablets and PCs, making programming more difficult), that Win XP had in the beginning 27000 bugs (where only 9000 led to a BSOD, but everybody did not want to part from after more than 10 years), and as usually MS releases a quite unstable version of a software to learn from the problems of the user rather than to test it themselves thoroughly before fielding it, I still think to not forget about the related marketing strategy. Why offer a free upgrade when you are sure you have a good product that you can sell for money?

We are the guinea pigs for a billion $ company, which just want to optimize profits on our behalf!

My opinion, I would be glad to discuss this further, if this forum is the place for that - I am rather new here.

Greetings,

Curly

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,662 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

Without getting into conjecture about MS, the following article was offered in response to a similar issue just a day or two ago:

Fix for “an App Default Was Reset” Windows 10 Resetting File Associations (Registry Fixes)

It's an option, anyway.  I had one upgrade around the time of the Fall Update on Win10 Home 64-bit that reset a couple of file associations, but I simply set them back by hand and haven't had the issue since.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users