Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Probs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pelukis

pelukis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hello ALL,

i have a problem with notebook Acer Travelmate 290 who does'nt wanna start up anymore,
even after tapping F8 for getting into Safe MODE i can choose different modes and after trying them all, i can not go past "choose your OS System" in this case i only can choose from Windows XP Home Edition,
when i do this, the computer screen gets all white and don't do anything anymore and i can again continuing doing the same thing
this notebook is from my sister and i dont know previous stories what she been doing with it
could it be that there is a bootvirus present?

THANKS in advance for your comments,

greetings from Belgium

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

I would suggest using the recovery disks to reformat your system. You may find more information here: http://www.schoonepc.nl or http://www.inzakengaan.nl
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 pelukis

pelukis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Usama for your reply,

With bootdiskette i could go a little further in start up process, and finally he started up
but when the computer was 1 min on, he stopped n closed, could not reboot anymore after i wait some hours process repeating again, and after 1 min stopped...
Could it be something with temperature, fan works normal
inside there is 256 mb Ram, maybe a little low, but worked fine for 3 years

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

It sounds like a overheating problem.

Go to Acer's support site and look at the service manual for the laptop so you can see how to access it to clean it. Even with the fan on the airflow could be blocked.

Overheating can toast the processor in a flash, so I wouldn't turn it back on until you can get it cleaned and make sure the fans (the processor fan too) are working.

#5 pelukis

pelukis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:40 PM

Thanks Enthusiast for your help,

I tryed different things and non of them work, cleaning fan and channel, change memory banks....
i think the MBoard is the cause :thumbsup:
i also measured the power and on the Amp scale meter goes up n down, so power is also finished,

Probably this notebook is passed away :flowers:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

It might be the power supply and may be worth fixing (or not).

Does it do this both using the battery and plugging it in?

#7 pelukis

pelukis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Enthusiast for help,

yeah its the same with power supply or battery, no difference even power supply is not trusty anymore

i'll try to search little further, if nothing found i drop in repair :thumbsup:

i let you know any result,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users