Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TeslaCrypt 3.0/4.0 .XXX, .TTT, .MICRO, .MP3 Support Topic

• Please log in to reply
1421 replies to this topic

#31 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

Most security experts will advise against paying the ransom demands of the malware writers because doing so only helps to finance their criminal enterprise and keep them in business. The more people pay the ransom, the more the attackers are encouraged to keep creating ransomware for financial gain. Further, there is no guarantee that paying the ransom will actually result in the restoration (decryption) of your files. And since ransomware can be responsible for dual infections and that means paying both ransoms in order to decrypt data. Decreasing your chances for recovering data with dual infections is that files may get encrypted multiple times, especially if the victim had tried to fix the files by renaming them first while the malware was still active...resulting in further problems and complicating possible decryption.Grinler, (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of Bleeping Computer has said this...

...Though the loss of your data and computer can be devastating, sending the ransom could be even more so. Depending on how the criminals want you to pay the ransom could put you at risk for Identity Theft as the information you send may contain personal information. Therefore, we suggest that you never pay a ransom unless it is absolutely necessary for data recovery.

Since many victims know there is no guarantee with paying the ransom, some ransomware developers and Hackers are now offering customer support to help with decryption. Then the question becomes....should I trust that support?

With that said...We understand some folks may feel they have no other alternative but to take a chance and pay the ransom in hopes of recovering irreplaceable photos and other personal or important data. That is a choice and a decision each affected victim will have to make for themselves. We will not make any judgments for doing so.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 pabusa99

pabusa99

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hello, I write from Spain my pc was infected although no critical files where crypted.

However I am interested in clean my Pc, by now the F8 key did not work (I have read that the malware disabled that option too) at startup, so I used the windows DVD install to access console and delette all _H_E_L_P... files. And I used a nod32 USB to boot and clean...

But I am not sure if it is cleaned.

How can I Know muy pc is clean???

How long you think will we have a solution for the cripted files???

#33 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

Most crypto malware ransomware is typically programmed to automatically remove itself...the malicious files responsible for the infection...after the encrypting is done since they are no longer needed. Unfortunately, most victims do not realize they have been infected until the ransomware displays the ransom note and the files have already been encrypted. As such, they don't know how long the malware was on the system before being alerted or if other malware was installed along with the ransomware. If other malware was involved it could still be present if your antivirus did not detect and remove it so additional security scans should be performed.

If you need individual assistance only with removing the malware infection, follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide...all other questions or comments should be posted in the support topics. When you have done that, start a new topic and post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

As for when there will be a solution for decrypting your data...we have no way of knowing when or if that will be possible.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#34 pabusa99

pabusa99

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

Mmm... And so... when does it stop??

Something curious is that only affecteed the boot partition, I had another internal disk with dates, but it did not jumped.

What make it jump???

I used a external USB with nod32 antivirus and it is supossed it is clean... But to how to be sure???

#35 pabusa99

pabusa99

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

Ammm, I will read the instructions you told me.

#36 Dalphklobic

Dalphklobic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

I want to ask, whether reformatting my hard rives would eradicate the virus if  it is still there, as newly downloaded items seem to be encrypted as well.

#37 ricvail

ricvail

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hello, I have come across a pc infected with a ransomware which looks a lot like teslacrypt 3.0 (.micro) but with some minor differences. Can someone please tell me if it's a variation of the original or just a copycat?

imgur.com/a/ckCGR

I noticed that while the virus refers to itself as RSA 4096 in most files, in the .html ransom note (last photo) it's just called "RSA". I tried looking around the web for this specific particular but I haven't found any other occurrences.

#38 PishedOff

PishedOff

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

Hello, I have come across a pc infected with a ransomware which looks a lot like teslacrypt 3.0 (.micro) but with some minor differences. Can someone please tell me if it's a variation of the original or just a copycat?

imgur.com/a/ckCGR

I noticed that while the virus refers to itself as RSA 4096 in most files, in the .html ransom note (last photo) it's just called "RSA". I tried looking around the web for this specific particular but I haven't found any other occurrences.

Most ransomware, I believe, lies about the type and strength of the encryption it uses. For example TeslaCrypt says it uses RSA-2048 or RSA-4096 when in actuality it uses AES, AES-256 if I recall correctly. They do this to make it sound a lot more serious that it is and hence make you more likely to pay. However, that is not to say that means it is easy, it is not easy by any means if implemented properly!

#39 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Please read my explanation about encryption in this topic (Post #847).
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#40 ricvail

ricvail

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Then, how can I determinate what kind of encryption was used?

Does the .micro extension really mean the files are not (yet) decryptable, or is there a chanche that I am dealing with another virus which uses the same extension but a different encryption?

How can I test it? is there a tool that can tell me?

#41 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Then, how can I determinate what kind of encryption was used?

Does the .micro extension really mean the files are not (yet) decryptable, or is there a chanche that I am dealing with another virus which uses the same extension but a different encryption?

How can I test it? is there a tool that can tell me?

Working on one actually. ;)

With the .micro extension and the ransom note you posted, you most certainly have TeslaCrypt 3.0 unfortunately. The link for payment goes to the same personal page as the real deal.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#42 drlynch

drlynch

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Any way to make a donation?

I think your work should be rewarded. At least to take a couple of beers :)

Not if I have to do it, to BleepingComputer.

A greeting.

#43 rafadesordi

rafadesordi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

If I pay, I will have all my files recovered?
I can not wait anymore!

Edited by rafadesordi, 13 February 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#44 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

If I pay, I will have all my files recovered?
I can not wait anymore!

It is generally not advised to pay the criminals, because you are only further funding their activities. However, if you believe that is your only option and it is that critical to get the files back (after trying recovery software), then typically most people have success in decrypting when they pay the ransom. Once the criminals give you the private key, you can use TeslaDecoder by BloodDolly to decrypt the files.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#45 pakal

pakal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Subscribed ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users