Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer not loading past bios screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel1786

Rachel1786

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place or not.
I have a custom built computer (my brother built it), it's very lightly used, lately I've just been using it to upload photos and use photoshop. Anyway today MSI scan said there was a bios update available so I went through all the steps to download and install, it said the computer would restart. The computers screen went black (like it shut down) but the tower lights and fans stayed on. I thought maybe it was still doing something so I left it alone but after over an hour nothing had changed, I did a force shut down (holding the power button until it turned off) but now when I turn the computer back on it won't get past the MSI screen where it says to press del to run bios setup it f11 to run boot menu. I've tried pressing both but nothing happens. Also the computer doesn't have a cd drive so I can't repair with the bios disc or windows disc. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

Forgot to add, currently running windows 10 and the motherboard is an MSI a88xm-e45

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

I had a similar problem at work not long ago.

It turns out that the system was built with a processor (CPU) that was too powerful for the motherboard.

The old BIOS allowed it to be used, but the new BIOS blocked it.

Are you running a compatible CPU?

Here's a chart:  https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/A88XM-E45.html#support-cpu

Beyond that, try posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert help:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

I'm 99% sure it has an AMD APU A10-7700k Quad-Core processor which looks like it is compatible...so it's not something I messed up when I forced it to shut down?

Can this thread be moved to the other section or should I just make a new thread?
Thanks!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

You can PM a mod to move it - or you can just make a new topic over there.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users