Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to format ssd. can't figure it out. please help.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 0motnahp0

0motnahp0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

My computer froze. I shut my computer off. Rebooted my pc and got stuck on the bios screen indefinitely. Working for about 8 hours with a techie friend of mine, we have concluded the problem is my 240 gig ssd that I use as a boot drive that dual boots windows 10 and 8.1.

I've tried plugging in a new boot drive. everything else works perfectly, but I can't get into my ssd.

I've tried booting from a windows 8.1 usb, a windows 10 usb, a macrium reflect drive (my buddy helped me make) and I've also tried putting my ssd into my laptop and tried booting from the ssd, and from the windows 10 usb and from the reflect usb. I've also made a fresh installation of windows on a seperate spare hdd, got my pc working with it, shut my pc down and plugged my ssd in but as soon as I do, windows won't boot. I've also tried messing with the boot order in the bios in every order I could think of, but the only progress it makes is sometimes I get a different "windows 8.1 icon" loading screen that it gets stuck on instead of the usual msi bios loading screen. (note, the only thing with windows 8.1 on it is the smaller 48 gig partition on my 240 gig ssd, so I know it's being read to a degree.)

The common problem in all cases is that windows will not boot from any device so long as my ssd is in my computer, and thus, I cannot format my ssd. (I'd like to get the files from my ssd if I can, but I don't have anything terribly important on it, so I would consider formatting if I have to)

is there any way to hook up my ssd to the pc after I boot into windows on a different drive? Is there another solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not too sure on how to give my specs, but here's what I can find:

sys info-

cpuid/microcode 506e3/1b

bios version e7971ims.a20

bios build date 07.17/2015

me version 11.0.0.1160

physical memory 8192mb

cache size 1024kb

l3 cache size 6144kb

I've got a z170a pc mate motherboard,

evga nex650g power supply,

intel i5 6600 processor

nvidia gtx 970 gpu

8 gigs of g.skill ram

cooler master hyper 212 evo cpu fan

Corsair force 240 gig (problem child)

some terabyte hdd that works fine as mass storage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

Put the SSD in an external USB enclosure, or connect it up to an external drive adapter.  Boot your PC up without it connected, then plug it into the USB and see if you can access it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008040&IsNodeId=1&Description=usb%20enclosure&name=Hard%20Drive%20Enclosures&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=30&isdeptsrh=1

or, use one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HE0JE6610&cm_re=external_drive_adapter-_-9SIA1HE0JE6610-_-Product

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users