Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky Anti Virus Won't go Away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leilia

leilia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hello Y'all

I am having issues with my Mother's PC. She installed a Kaspersky trial (she thought she was installing the full version) and at the end of the trial it would not let her upgrade it (kept having errors). So the decision was made to uninstall the Kaspersky. And that was the beginning of my headache.

I uninstalled through Control Panel and then went through BC and used the Revo Uninstaller Pro to get anything left after I was still getting messages that the AV was still on the PC. I thought that it had gotten everything until today when my Mom tried to turn on Windows Defender and it brought up a pop up that says "Security Center can't turn on Windows Defender. Please try again later."
So I thought that if she couldn't use Win Defender that I would put a different AV on her PC. I tried to install "AVG Anti Virus FREE" so she would have something on her computer and it said that Kaspersky was still on the computer. I did a search of the PC through Windows Explorer and it did not turn up anything.

Can someone please help me to get this dad-gum program off of my Mom's computer and get Windows Defender working again? Maybe recommend a good free AV that she can use until something like ESET goes on sale?

Her computer is an HP Pavilion dv6000 running Windows Vista Home Premium SP 2 if that makes any differences.

Thank you so much,

Leilia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigahurtz

gigahurtz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

I would suggest trying the Kaspersky Uninstall Tool and then restarting the computer. You can download the tool here: http://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/service#block1

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

Please follow the information here to use the Kaspersky Lab Products Remover and let us know if the removal was successful.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

... Maybe recommend a good free AV that she can use until something like ESET goes on sale?

If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 leilia

leilia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

I was able to uninstall the Kaspersky using Sintharius's link! YAY!!

But now when I try to turn on Windows Defender it says "Security Center can't turn on Windows Defender. Please Try again later."

And when I try to select Windows Defender from the side bar of the Windows Security Center it pops up a message that says "Application failed to initialize: 0x80070006. The handle is invalid."

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

This is all on a Windows Vista computer, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program (not replace it).

These are instructions for restarting Windows Defender if it has been stopped...How to Start/Stop Windows Defender service.

IMO Windows Defender is not very effective...I would recommend leaving it disabled and replacing it with a more effective anti-malware program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users