Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running slowly after installing new CPU cooler?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 brody899

brody899

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on a custom built computer. Here's my specs.

I recently bought and installed a new CPU cooler (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus) because my stock cooler fan was very loud when playing games. I never had an issue with overheating but I decided it can't hurt to be more cool so I went ahead and bought 2 case fans (Coolermaster LEDs) and installed them as well. After installing all three fans and turning my computer on for the first time I noticed the startup was a tad slower than usual. I then opened Google Chrome to check my email and it took longer to open, then took even longer to load my email page up. I thought it was possibly my internet since it sometimes goes out or what not, but my internet was completely fine. I googled around and thought maybe that I didn't apply the thermal paste to the CPU correctly when I installed the cooler, so I took the cooler off and the CPU out, cleaned both, and reinstalled. Same issue was happening: longer loading times, slow when running any amount of programs, and my FPS was down to 60-65 FPS in R6S (Rainbow Six Seige) when I usually get around 80-100 FPS. As well as, in CS:GO I get constant screen tearing and frame drops on even the lowest settings when I usually run them on max perfectly fine. 
So at this point I knew something was completely wrong. I checked all my drivers, made sure everything was plugged in correctly, but couldn't find the issue. My friend told me it could be my RAM. I took one stick out and ran the computer and it seemed to run ok, so i swapped them out and ran the other stick by itself and my computer turned on but my keyboard/mouse didn't turn on and nothing displayed on the monitor. I felt like that was the issue, so I sent those 2 sticks into Corsair and they sent me 2 new sticks of RAM. I received and installed them, and am STILL getting the same issue. I am starting to think maybe I could have fried something on the motherboard on accident by static shock. I don't see it being my GPU or either my SSD or HDD (I did a defragment on both of those). 
I have AVG free and I scan my entire computer daily and AVG has not found any viruses.  I downloaded Malware-bytes and ran multiple scans and found nothing as well. I received help from the Virus and Malware section of the forums and figured out this is not a Malware issue.  It has to be something silly like a corrupt driver somewhere I can't find or I messed something up when reinstalling that new cooler. 

TL;DR: Computer running slower than it previously did after installing new case fans and new CPU cooler (fan/heat-sink). I'm thinking it's either a bad driver hidden somewhere or possibly something to do with the processor when I took it out and reinstalled. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Actually, it sounds more like an issue with your GPU or motherboard.

Slower FPS, screen tearing are distinct GPU related issues....but, you mentioned the issues with RAM as well.  I'm leaning toward a motherboard issue.

It would be very difficult to tell you what exactly is wrong with the given info.  Have you checked event viewer to see what, if any errors are happening?

#3 brody899

brody899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

I'm not really sure about GPU issue.  I feel like it has to be motherboard because the issue only began after I installed the CPU cooler.  So I must have static shocked it or touched something possibly.  I thought the RAM was the issue at first but I replaced it with new RAM from Corsair.  I don't want to buy a new motherboard just to figure out that it's not the issue though.  I feel like my only options are to 1: rebuild computer on new motherboard and I would buy a new case for that because I don't like my current case, OR 2:  do a clean install of windows 10 on my computer.  

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

Well, a clean install of Windows is the cheapest option for further checking to see if the problems still exist. 

#5 brody899

brody899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

If I do a clean install, would it be almost like turning computer on for first time building it? Like would I have to download everything or is there a way to save all my files

#6 brody899

brody899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

Also can something wrong with the motherboard cause these lag issues, frame drops, screen tears?  Not sure if I mentioned this but just general loading times have increased for not only games.  Opening any application or when I am roaming the internet it takes longer to load webpages as well as applications.  I feel like if I touched something wrong on the CPU when I was cleaning it to install the new cooler, that it would notify me through MSI CommandCetner or something like not showing that all 8 cores are functioning properly. 

#7 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

Yes, a clean install means installing all the drivers, updates and software.

Before you do anything like that, check your event viewer to see if the system is reporting errors.

#8 brody899

brody899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:03 AM

So I've done a clean install of Windows 10 on my system and normal applications and browsing internet seem to be running smoother than before.  I still have an issue when playing games like Rainbow Six and CS:GO.  Rainbow Six i have to lower my graphical settings to medium for it to be playable with minimal lag/screen tearing.  I used to run it on high/very high with no problem at all.  CS:GO on the other had still has insane screen tearing on pretty much any graphical setting.  It really makes no sense to me at all.  I can't see the issue being my graphics card since I've only had this build for not even a year yet.  Since I've done a clean install there's no way its something software related.  It has to be something faulty with my hardware, whether it's something seized or fried on the mobo or possibly my SSD that has my OS on.  

#9 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

It sounds like the GPU to me.  Do you have a different video card you could install to test with?  You could rule out any issues with the slot/mobo that way.

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

Also can something wrong with the motherboard cause these lag issues, frame drops, screen tears?  Not sure if I mentioned this but just general loading times have increased for not only games.  Opening any application or when I am roaming the internet it takes longer to load webpages as well as applications.  I feel like if I touched something wrong on the CPU when I was cleaning it to install the new cooler, that it would notify me through MSI CommandCetner or something like not showing that all 8 cores are functioning properly.

A failing motherboard can send faulty information the the windows kernel causing it to slow down.

It sounds like your gpu is dying.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 brody899

brody899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

I don't understand how my GPU is "dying".  Like I said before, I bought this entire setup not even a year ago, so I don't see how its already ready to replace things.  Spent over $300 on the graphics card and there's no way in hell I'm spending another 300$ for one year of use.  I do not have another GPU to test with but I may be able to borrow one from a friend.  I'm hoping there's just a blown circuit or something on the mobo somewhere and I will only need to spend maybe $100 to buy a new and better mobo to replace this one with. 

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

Try borrowing a gpu from a friend and blow the pcie slot out with canned air.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Well, parts can go bad in a short time if there was an issue in manufacturing.  These things are mass produced, so there's always going to be some that either don't last, or have issues.  Nothing is perfect.

If it's less than a year old I imagine you prbably still have some warranty left on it?  I'd contact the manufacturer....if it ends up being the GPU for sdure after testing with another.

#14 brody899

brody899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

Ya I had my computer out of commission for about a week while waiting for RAM to be delivered to me and that wasn't the issue.  If I still have warranty which i should, it wouldn't hurt to have a new GPU if that's what they ending sending me.  

#15 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:08 AM

Download HWmonitor to get the CPU temperature reading :-

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If the cooler is not properly installed, the CPU will be overheating.

Edited by WebWalker67, 14 February 2016 - 12:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users