Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Windows 10 but didn't install drivers,some missing help please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Allybee

Allybee

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi,I done another fresh install of windows 10 yesterday however it seems to install alot of drivers itself.

I haven't started installing my drivers yet as I am unsure of what ones I need to install.

The problem I am having is that Dell won't support my laptop for Win10 they only have drivers for upto windows 8 and the last time I tried windows 10 some driver packages I installed had errors.

I have tried to install windows 10 a few times now as microsoft are really pushing it on everyone but I have always ended upreinstalling windows 7 due to the amount of issues I am having with Windows 10 probably due to driver support from dell.

How can I find out which drivers are missing and what ones I really need installed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

What is the exact model number of your laptop, and what are the issues you are running into? We've run into a particular series of Dell laptops that Dell never released stable video drivers for, and has caused many customers to not have video unless you plug it into an external monitor; the only remedy has been to reload with Windows 7/8, as it severely corrupted the revert option. This seems to be a common problem with many Dells; Microsoft will push Windows 10 even to systems that don't actually support it yet.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

If the Windows 8 drivers don't help you, you'll just have to go back to 7 or 8 unless Dell provides what you need.  The most common problem with laptops is the touchpad, followed by WiFi adapters.  With laptops most of the parts are proprietary, unlike desktops where almost all parts are standardized. 

FWIW I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5559 back in December, and it came with Windows 10 installed by Dell.  If you can find a model Dell is selling with 10 installed that's close enough to what you have, you might be able to use the drivers for that.  It really depends on the model and age of what you have, and you didn't say.  If your laptop is more than a year old, the odds of finding compatible drivers aren't that good unfortunately.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hi,I am not really having any issues so far although at times it takes forever to boot but I don't know if this could be due to my kaspersky AV.

Also ocassionally when I first installed the start menu would have an issue with unistalling some apps from the menu or uninstalling tiles would take forever to come off the menu etc but apart from minor annoyances it is running ok so far.

In Device manager I have exclamations in Mass Storage Controller and other devices.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E5420

#5 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Unknown Devices is a great little program to help identify those exclamations. It should at least tell you what most of the missing drivers are for and what manufacturer, so you can match them on Dell's website.

Dell's autodetect (System Analysis) usually does a good job too if you download and run it, though it might not work for an OS they don't have listed as supported. Here's the page for your model if you weren't already going off of that. Like @Niweg said, you can try the Windows 7/8 drivers, otherwise you could try a similar model (perhaps any E54xx series, or E5xxx series). Last shot would be to try the manufacturer's website for the individual device. You can usually look them up with the info found in Unknown Devices.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e5420/drivers

If you have trouble, you can post a screenshot of Unknown Devices and we can help you from there possibly.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#6 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users