Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM x3650 M3 Rackserver - What configuration for VMHost

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 askerasker

askerasker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:35 AM

Hi community 
I need a Server for hosting several virtual machines. 
I want to run 3-5 Linux systems (mostly Debian) VMs for webserver, database, GitLab, ldap and also a fileserver. 
I can choose between these two servers: 

1. IBM x3650 M3 Rackserver 
1x Intel Xeon E5645 Hexa Core 2.40GHz 
64GB DDR3 RAM ECC R 
2x146GB SAS 2.5" 

2. IBM x3650 M3 Rackserver 
2x Intel Xeon E5620 QUAD Core 2.40GHz 
32GB DDR3 RAM ECC R 
1x146GB SAS 2.5" 

The HDD space isn't that important, I'm going to extend it anyway. 

Now my questions: 
1. Which configuration of the IBM x3650 M3 Rackserver should I choose for my use case and why? 
2. Is extending the HDD Space a big deal? Can I just use any 2.5" SAS HDD, for example a HP one or only IBM HDDs? 
3. Can both of these Server run Windows Server 2012 R2? 

Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

This

32GB DDR3 RAM ECC R 
1x146GB SAS 2.5"

I have a couple of these mate and with the dual CPU you can leverage the database a lot better.

You going to attach a NAS and use iSCI?, you only need 2 small drives for ESXi anyway unless you want to take advantage of the HDD slots and then create data stores.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 11 February 2016 - 06:17 PM.

#3 askerasker

askerasker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:38 AM

This

32GB DDR3 RAM ECC R 
1x146GB SAS 2.5"

I have a couple of these mate and with the dual CPU you can leverage the database a lot better.

You going to attach a NAS and use iSCI?, you only need 2 small drives for ESXi anyway unless you want to take advantage of the HDD slots and then create data stores.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I'm going to attach a NAS and take advantage of the HDD slots too.

I just got another interesting opinion of someone.

I would choose the single 6-core.
Reason is that it has more ram which you nearly always run out of well before your run out of cpu, and talking about cpu a single cpu system is generally more efficient than multi socket systems as there is not have the cache coherence overhead. That is to say 8 cores in 2 sockets will be slower than a single 8 core cpu. So in effect the 6 core won't be as far behind the 2x4 core as it may look. (Note there is reasons why multi sockets have advantages but for basic VM hosts I think less sockets are better)
If you pay for power I would also take the single cpu machine.

What do you think about this opinion? It sounds logical that a dual CPU set up can leverage the database better but the most important thing is that the virtual machines are running as best as possible because they are the basis of all those services, like the database, webserver ect.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

RAM is cheap mate CPU's are not, if you have dual CPU's some servers can allocate one and with a sqlserver i would 2 cpu's (Licensing may dictate that). With dual CPU's you can install more RAM than a single as well so always keep that in mind.

From memory its 96 GIG per CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users