Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot reinstall Windows 10.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sch1z0p1tz

Sch1z0p1tz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

So I've been trying to reinstall windows 10 on a mini computer and it's been killing me for hours now.
So I've got a copy of Windows 10 64-bit on my 64GB Kingston USB and I've got it plugged in the computer.​​

At first it couldn't detect it, then I went into the bios and found out I have almost no options other than "boot overdrive" where my usb was not found by the BIOS. Short story: After struggling for a while I noticed it had to be on UEFI because I did not have any options to disable secure boot, fast boot or enable legacy mode anywhere so it would only detect UEFI. So I re-did it, this time making it a UEFI type. Now sure, it finds my USB, but it when i try to boot from it, a quick black screen appears and I'm kicked right back into the BIOS.

I've tried Windows boot manager, but there's only a Windows 10 option and that just runs windows 10.
I've tried going into Advanced Startup and running it from there, but it only restarts and puts me in the windows boot manager.
I've tried the boot menu, but it also just runs my Windows 10 (And yes I did select my usb).​​​

This computer is from China, I do not remember it's name but if that's important I'll try to find it.

I'd like to know why there are so little BIOS options, and why it won't just run the installation.​
Only specs I could find are
​Intel® Atom™ CPU Z3735F 1.33GHz

2GB DDR3 RAM.

BIOS is American Megatrends 2.16.1242

Don't know what else to add. Also sorry if this kinda isn't the right place to put this topic.

Attached Files

Edited by Sch1z0p1tz, 11 February 2016 - 05:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

My Dell laptop has UEFI, and I had to disable secure boot to be able to boot from a USB device.  You could always invest $25 or so on an external CD/DVD drive and go the DVD route.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Sch1z0p1tz

Sch1z0p1tz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, I guessed as much. This is probably the worst BIOS i've ever seen.

I managed to get it work after using NTFS instead of FAT32 and using the MDR partition for UEFI only and using a 32-bit version of Windows 10.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

It's very difficult to view the attached pictures.  I am not accustomed to craning my head sideways to look at pictures.  Also, due to the poor resolution I would say the pictures were taken with a low quality camera or perhaps a phone.  That doesn't help either because I can't make out the tabs in the firmware.

Anyway, the easiest way to re-install Windows 10 on a computer with UEFI is from a DVD.  If you must re-install from a flash drive then please see this article.

#5 Sch1z0p1tz

Sch1z0p1tz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

The pictures being sideways was not my fault. Once I uploaded them, they got rotated sideways. I even tried to rotate them sideways so it wouldn't be sideways here but it did not help. So that's not my fault, there's not much I can do about it. Also the quality is just fine, sure the tabs are hard to see but if you look at all 3 BIOS pictures you can see each tabs name clearly as it's been selected. The resolution is also fine so I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Your best bet would be downloading the pictures and just rotating them yourself.

#6 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:07 AM

To what my understanding, Atom processor only can run 32 bit OS (in general but will some exception).

Have you try to install Win 10 32 bit ?

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

You were probably holding your phone horizontally while taking pictures...

X6nY5t5.png

#8 Sch1z0p1tz

Sch1z0p1tz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

To what my understanding, Atom processor only can run 32 bit OS (in general but will some exception).

Have you try to install Win 10 32 bit ?

As I said above "I managed to get it work after using NTFS instead of FAT32 and using the MDR partition for UEFI only and using a 32-bit version of Windows 10."

I still would like to know why there's so limited options in the BIOS, but hey, we can't have everything.

You were probably holding your phone horizontally while taking pictures...

X6nY5t5.png

No, I was holding my phone vertically.

The pictures had the correct angle on both my phone and my computer.

Edited by Sch1z0p1tz, 16 February 2016 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users