Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

after resetting router, old router name persists

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:42 AM

After my laptop was allegedly infected, I did a lot of cleaning and asked for a professional help (on this forum). The final step of the cleaning was to reset my router, including both the router name and the password, as my internet service provider (Time Warner) seemed to be at fault - i.e. their systems seemed to be breached and as a result, my homepage was re-routed.

Since the reset, from time to time, the old router name would appear and replace the new router name - i.e. the WIFI window would show "currently connected to OLD_ROUTER_NAME", as opposed to the "currently connected to NEW_ROUTER_NAME", although in the same window, of all the wireless network connections shown, it is the NEW_ROUTER_NAME that is at display.

Does this make sense? Is my router hacked?

Any advice/suggestion? Great many Thanks.

....................................................................................................................................

computer model: HP ProBook, Win7 professional

internet connection: WIFI

router: Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Gateways from ARRIS

distance from the router: 2-2.5 meters (8-9 feet)

internet type: cable (Time Warner)

MiniToolBox log attached

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Is that some HP WIFI software thats generating the message? Did you create a new profile in the software, maybe theres a old and new profile?

The latest TWC breach involved account  E-mail addresses and there passwords not there systems.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Since the reset, from time to time, the old router name would appear and replace the new router name - i.e. the WIFI window would show "currently connected to OLD_ROUTER_NAME", as opposed to the "currently connected to NEW_ROUTER_NAME", although in the same window, of all the wireless network connections shown, it is the NEW_ROUTER_NAME that is at display.

I am confused as to which window you are referring to.  Could you post a screenshot of this window?

#4 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Need help with posting the screenshot.

I had it pasted in Microsoft Word but was told that .doc files are not allowed as attachment ?

Also regarding shelf_life's question, I am not sure I understand it (my apology for being tech illiterate). When I reset my router, I went to the default http://192.168.0.1 and set up the router name and password there. I assume my laptop simply detected the name and displayed it. I have NO idea what old/new (router?) profile is and where they would be in my laptop.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

Need help with posting the screenshot.

Please read this guide...

#6 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

https://imageshack.com/i/poqAMXQ3p

I tried but failed with "image" so can only upload the link. If you click in, you would see that as of the time the screenshot was taken, the "wifi window" shows two things:

(1) my laptop is said to be "currently connected to DG1670AB2" in the top panel of the "WIFI window"

(2) there are a number of available wifi networks available shown in the lower panel of the "WIFI window", and the laptop is connected CORRECTLY to DG1670AB2.

However, from time to time, I would see that my laptop is said to be "currently connected to homerouter" at the top panel of "the wifi window" (homerouter was the OLD_ROUTER_NAME), while at the lower panel, I would see either "DG1670AB2" (which is the NEW_ROUTER_NAME), but no "homerouter", or at times ONLY "homerouter" but no "DG1670AB2".

So the question would be, where is this old name "homerouter" coming from ? Is it saved, like shelf_life implied, somewhere in my laptop? is it saved in the router? or in a "malware" ????

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

Did you delete the old wireless profile from your computer?  To remove a wireless profile please see this:

#8 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

Its not malware. See if this link helps:

http://www.home-network-help.com/delete-wireless-network.html

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users