Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

upgrading an old emachine help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bhodi1110

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:16 AM

Hello everyone, so my gaming laptop was stolen from me and I don't have enough money to build a full on rig yet, I have an emachine et1161-07 that I'm using and have enough money to upgrade the power supply and the video card. So my question is if I upgrade to like a 400w - 550w power supply would I be able to throw in something like this?

Looking to put in a video card that has 2 gigs of video memory just not sure if it will fit or even work for that matter I do have a PCI express x16 slot but the case is pretty small and the comp is pretty old so I don't want to get a nice video card and have it not work lol, I do have windows 7 32 bit and the option to upgrade to windows 10, I was thinking maybe if I can put in a decent video card and upgrade the ram to the max (8 gigs) maybe throw in an okay processor I could use it to play cs :go that's pretty much all I want to play for now lol thanks everyone :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

According to this:-
you do have a PCIex16 slot - but the best way to be absolutely sure is just take the cover off & have look.

The GT730 you are looking for has a low power requirement & has no power connectors (other than the PCIe slot) the recommended power supply (http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications) is only 300 Watts. You can probably even get that to run on the stock 250W power supply.

I don't think you're going to be able to upgrade the CPU enough (on the existing motherboard) to meet the CS GO minimum system requirements so it's probably better to save your money & put it towards your "full on" build. Otherwise you will need a new motherboard (micro ATX) with CPU & so probably new RAM and also the new PSU already mentioned - but a plus point is that a new motherboard with current integrated graphics might be OK for CS GO without the need for a separate graphics card.

Edited by rqt, 11 February 2016 - 04:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users