Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm hit with a cryptolocker virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

this is my friends computer as he was able to sign in..

Yesterday he was hit with this Cryotolocker virus,,we have lost internet explorer althoghter but now able to use Firefox,

we have run most anti malware stuff in safe screen to no avail .

Can you help please, do we have to format and reinstall .

running win7 home....and I.E. 11.

greg.

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2016 - 07:31 AM.
Moved from Am I Infected to General Security - Hamluis.

Eddee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 48,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:23 AM

The original CryptoLocker Ransomware which first appeared in the beginning of September 2013...does not exist anymore and hasn't since June 2014. There are many copycat and fake ransomware variants which use the CryptoLocker name but those infections are not the same. Any references to CryptoLocker and retrieving keys for it will not work anymore.

Are there any file extensions appended to your files...such as .ecc, .ezz, .exx, .zzz, .xyz, .aaa, .abc, .ccc, .vvv, .xxx, .ttt, .micro, .encrypted, .locked, .crypto, _crypt, .crinf, .r5a, .XRNT, .XTBL, .crypt, .R16M01D05, .pzdc, .good, .LOL!, .OMG!, .RDM, .RRK, .encryptedRSA, .crjoker, .EnCiPhErEd, .LeChiffre, .keybtc@inbox_com, .0x0, .bleep, .1999, .vault, .HA3, .toxcrypt, .magic, .SUPERCRYPT, .CTBL, .CTB2, or 6-7 length extension consisting of random characters?

Did you find any ransom note? These infections are created to alert victims that their data has been encrypted and demand a ransom payment. Check your documents folder for an image the malware typically uses for the background note. Check the C:\ProgramData (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data) for a randomly named .html, .txt, .png, .bmp, .url file.

These are some examples of ransom notes:
HELP_DECRYPT.TXT, HELP_YOUR_FILES.TXT, HELP_TO_DECRYPT_YOUR_FILES.txt, RECOVERY_KEY.txt
HELP_RESTORE_FILES.txt, HELP_RECOVER_FILES.txt, HELP_TO_SAVE_FILES.txt, DecryptAllFiles.txt
DECRYPT_INSTRUCTIONS.TXT, INSTRUCCIONES_DESCIFRADO.TXT, How_To_Recover_Files.txt
YOUR_FILES.HTML, YOUR_FILES.url, encryptor_raas_readme_liesmich.txt, Help_Decrypt.txt
DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.TXT, HOW_TO_DECRYPT_FILES.TXT, ReadDecryptFilesHere.txt, Coin.Locker.txt
_secret_code.txt, About_Files.txt, Read.txt, ReadMe.txt, DECRYPT_ReadMe.TXT, DecryptAllFiles_.txt
FILESAREGONE.TXT, IAMREADYTOPAY.TXT, HELLOTHERE.TXT, READTHISNOW!!!.TXT, SECRETIDHERE.KEY
IHAVEYOURSECRET.KEY, SECRET.KEY, HELP_DECYPRT_YOUR_FILES.HTML, help_decrypt_your_files.html
HELP_TO_SAVE_FILES.txt, RECOVERY_FILES.txt, RECOVERY_FILE.TXT, RECOVERY_FILE_[random].txt
Howto_RESTORE_FILES_.txt, Howto_Restore_FILES.txt, howto_recover_file_.txt, restore_files_.txt, 
how_recover+[random].txt, _how_recover_.txt, recovery_file_[random].txt, recover_file_[random].txt
recovery_file_[random].txt, Howto_Restore_FILES.TXT and help_recover_instructions+[random].txt

Note: The [random] represents random characters which some ransom notes names may include.
Once we have identified which particular ransomware you are dealing with, I can direct you to the appropriate discussion topic for further assistance.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

Thank you Quietman7,,We had to take his computer to a tech, had to format reinstall win 7 and something else , not sure what.

Now its back except for the loss of a few photos.

He wishes to thank you for getting back to us, he will be joining BC.

Eddee

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 48,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

You're welcome and we look forward to your friend joining us.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users