Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - Motherboard can't power the fan!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Berkkocak

Berkkocak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

Hey guys, before i start asking my question. Since I'm not a native English speaker, i might sound a little bit weird. So I would like to apologize for this in advance.

So I was regularly playing a game with my good old (4 YO) laptop. Then i tried to lift it up to look what's under it, and when I tilted it a little bit, the fan that cools the entire system started making a really high, annoying noise. I immediately turned off my computer and unscrewed the layer covering the important pieces. Then i unscrewed the fan and saw that the fan was scraping off the metal frame covering itself. I bent the metal a little bit with my screwdriver to set the fan loose and it worked. When I started my computer again, the noise was gone. But then I realised that there was no noise at all. I started the computer with the cover open and i saw that the fan was not moving.

I took my laptop and fan to a tech store and they told me that they've tested the fan and it's working smoothly. And warned me that the problem might be about some integrate (entegre in Turkish, don't know the exact term for this one) that helps motherboard (or the CPU) order fan to work and/or stop. And added that; he is not sure but this is could be a complicated and serious problem so I should not trust any tech services but the MSI's own. And I bet you can guess that they are too far from where I live or where I can travel.

And now I'm home, searching the entire internet database for a clue yet not finding anything at all.

P.S: I've discovered that the fan is trying to move but something stops it immediately (even in manual turbo fan mode) So it makes a bizzare twitching move. (See the video below)
P.S#2: I've tried to heaten up the computer with games and other heavy processes to trigger the fan. I gave up and put my computer in the fridge at 95 degrees celcius.

Some information that you might need: (You can always ask me for more info. I'm desperately in need of any kind of help)

Laptop Model: MSI GE70 0NC (bought at the end of 2012)
Motherboard Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard: MS-1756
BIOS version: E1756IMS.514

I'm going to add a few videos and pics to help you guys understand the situtation better.

The socket for the fan and the 3 pinned tip of the fan's cable, detached:

QkD8Es3.jpg

The BIOS information screen:

MjwGGaV.jpg

Video 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTgbl41VdQ4

Video 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CuunETQPzQ

At the second video, you can hear the weird flashing sound that the fan makes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

Don't put your laptop in the fridge! The moisture could easily kill it!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:27 PM

I think the problem is mechanical with your fan itself.

Take a couple of drops of light machine oil (here in the USA we have a brand called 3 in 1 oil which is for this purpose) on the center axle of the fan shaft. You may have to remove a small cover to expose the axle or the exposed point may be on the bottom of the fan. Push the fan around with your finger a few times and try to power up. Sometimes that does it.

If no joy, you can order a new fan to replace the old one. Unfortunately, I don't know any suppliers in Turkey, but there has to be some place that sells generic fans that will replace yours.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users