Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACER monitor refuses to boot, only get a 'No Signal' before hitting black

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PFBrucklets

PFBrucklets

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

Hey everyone,

So last night, I restarted my PC after I attempted to reinstall the drivers for my NVIDEA GForce GTX 970. When I booted it up again, my monitor flashed 'No Signal' before going to black.

I've tried a few things to fix it. I tried unplugging and replugging everything, I've tried holding the power button for 30 seconds to reboot it, and I've tried to let it sit overnight in hopes it will recover. But nothing has worked.

Other sites I've looked up suggested I just chuck the damn thing out and get a new one. I'm thankfully still under warranty with the store I bought it from.

The monitor I have is a ACER S40HL (24inch LED, 1920x1080, 5ms, VGA, DVI). It has a three-year warranty, and I've had it for 8 months.

Is there a way to fix this? Or should I just send it back and get a new one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

after I attempted to reinstall the drivers for my NVIDEA GForce GTX 970

I think there may be a clue here !  The 'No signal' followed by blackness is typical behaviour of a monitor that is not getting a video signal. We have two TVs and a desktop monitor that all do this until you turn on either the PVRs or the computer, as do many others i have seen.

To put your mind at rest about the monitor, plug it into a different computer and see if it works. If it does, then there is nothing wrong with it and the problem lies with your video card and its drivers. I admit it may be difficult trying to re-install your video drivers, or even roll them back, without a monitor, but you could try using the on-board graphics until you sort this problem out.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 PFBrucklets

PFBrucklets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Hey, thanks for the help!

Yeah, it looks like it worked fine on another PC. This I was dreading, since I have no idea what I'm doing with these cards, both hardware and software.

So, without the help of a monitor, how will I be able to sort this out? Or should I ask another board about this?

Edited by Platypus, 11 February 2016 - 01:45 AM.
Moved topic to Internal Hardware

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:50 AM

What version of Windows are you running?

Can you boot into the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 PFBrucklets

PFBrucklets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

Windows 7.

And I don't know how to.

Edited by PFBrucklets, 11 February 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

I take it that this computer is some sort of desktop. Please post back with the make and model of the computer. From this we can work out how to get you to see your BIOS. If you built it yourself post the model number of the motherboard.

On board graphics. Almost all motherboards have an on-board graphics unit which has connections at the back of the computer. Very often when you run into problems like you are having it is possible to connect the monitor to this graphics system to get a signal through to the monitor so that you can see what your are doing when it comes to downloading drivers and installing them.

One other possibility that is normally easy to check. Try a different video cable between the computer and the monitor, it's not all that common but these can fail as well.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 PFBrucklets

PFBrucklets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:21 AM

Yes, it's a desktop. I'm using a Cooler Master HAF X Full Midnight Black ATX Case with a ASRock H97M PRO4 MB motherboard, Intel Core 7 CPU, and a GeForce GTX 970 Graphics card.

What kind of cable will I need to use to connect with the monitor for this?

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

Have a look at this image, it is a photo of the back of my computer. You will see a video card which has VGA and DVI outputs and the on-board graphics which has a VGA output only. I use the VGA output because my monitor has VGA and HDMI inputs !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmgh1s0qz377h4a/Desktop%20video%20outs.jpg?dl=0

According to the specs, your mobo has the following outputs, among others -

- 1 x D-Sub Port
- 1 x DVI-D Port
- 1 x HDMI Port

If you are using either DVI or HDMI to connect your monitor at present just unplug the cable at the computer end from your video card and connect to the on-board output and work with that until you sort out your driver problem.

Again, according to the manual for this mobo, you get into the BIOS by pressing either the 'F2' or the 'Del' key several times as soon as you switch on the computer. See Chapter 4 (p59) of the PDF manual for further information.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users