Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled Avast Win 8 Will Not Restart Now

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ChazinFL

ChazinFL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

Sorry, I have done my best to search this and have been trying for 6 hours trying various things and have been unable to either find someone who has had a successful resolution, or stumble into it myself. I have tackled many problems in the past on various computers, but this on has me on the ropes.

Speaking to Avast, they will help me they say for $180, but I feel if I persist I can figure this out. Blah ditty blah.

So, Computer was running Win 8.1 just fine. This morning I decide I want to kick Avast off the computer and install another anti-virus. So I use Windows Uninstall and after a bit I get "Successfully Uninstalled" ..Restart Now...OK. Then It goes into the "Preparing Automatic Repair" "Diagnosing Computer" "Attempting Repair" routine before displaying "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC Message.  From here I can go to Advanced options and get a command prompt. 

I have tried replacing System32 Config files with backup files (sam, security, software, default & system) using a guide I found to get

over this repair loop I'm stuck in.

w6qlgp.jpg

I have restarted the beast 50 times at least. I also have a win7 Start screen thing working but none of the options do anything other than restart it trying to repair itself again.

Anyone heard of a successful fix for this?

Needless to say, this is really bumming me out. Computer is a year old gaming computer. I see the MSI Bootscreen for an instant before I get the Win7 legacy start screen.

Help Me Obi Wan's!!! Your my ONLY Hope!

Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnbrown

johnbrown

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

Try accessing safemode

Access command prompt and type in sfc /scannow

Afterwards access run and type in msconfig, on services select hide all Microsoft services then disable all, click ok

Download tweaking and run all steps

Restart afterwards

Try this one, if it doesn't help i'll post more option. Thanks

#3 ChazinFL

ChazinFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I can't start in safemode, tried that plenty.

I get this at step command prompt    sfc /scannow

2cr4rut.jpg

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

Firstly, the number you call for avast support is for a third party support site. There have been issues with them. Check the avast forum or see this site.

I wonder how you have a Windows 7 legacy menu on a Windows 8 computer. Can you copy your original registry hives back to the config folder? 

Can you attach the hard drive to another computer, either internally, using a USB enclosure, or a USB adapter?

Is there any data on the computer you need? If you need to do a factory reset, do you have the license keys to your program including Office if you have it and it a factory reset something you would consider.

#5 ChazinFL

ChazinFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

John, Thanks for saving me $180, I went to that link, dang. I can put that $ to better use for sure. I dunno how I got the win 7 thing, it's woitless anyhow, you just type some mumbo jumbo at the command prompt and there it showed up.  

So I guess I could put the hard drive from the new puter inside the older one we have to transfer files and then just do a mass reinstall of everything. 

Not sure about registry files you speak of, I was hoping to get to the restore menu somehow and just make the computer run like it did 2 days ago or what ever. I can't believe it has screwed me to the point that I can't get to that feature....Bleepin Puter.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:06 PM

The reason I asked if you could attach to another computer is because I was thinking of using Autoruns to remove everything avast from the system. You can do this using Analyze Offline System of AutoRuns.

You can pull your data using a bootable disk if the files on the drive are not encrypted. For your Windows 8 computer I recommend using Fatdog64. Download the iso and burn a CD using Windows 7 and later by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Using it you can copy your files to an external disk. There is a procedure to do this. If you decide to use Fatdog then post back and I will post instructions on how to copy your files.

You can download a install iso of Windows 8.1 here using the Media Creation Tool. Did this computer come preinstalled with Windows 8 or 7?

One way to trick Windows 8 into the recover menu is to do the following. Then see if you can do a System Restore or Refresh, not a Reset. But, Refresh will keep your apps and data. Your programs will be gone.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#7 ChazinFL

ChazinFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, I can get to the tools in Win 8, it's just that nothing works except command prompt. I read somewhere that Avast had made changes to some deep registry files or something and deleted them along with itself when I deleted the program. Sort of like throwing out the baby & bathwater thing. Windows 8 was installed by us with a friend when we first got it. The computer was built by us from parts, least expensive way to a gaming system. I'm done for tonight, will follow up tomorrow on usb cable thing.

Thank You so much John.

Much Respect, Charlie

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

Okay, have a good night. We can also pull the Windows 8 key for the install if it is not available. This would at least get you a fresh install if it gets that far.

Edit: One more thing. Did you copy the Registry Hives from the Regback folder? If the hives in the Regback Folder have a date before your problem, we may be able to use those to get the computer to boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 February 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#9 ChazinFL

ChazinFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

If you look at my 1st post you'll see that the dates on the reg files for sam, security, software, system and default are dated the 4th and the .old ones are from today, so I've already tried to changed them....no result though.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

Missed that, sorry. I think your only chance of getting the computer to boot is to attach the drive to another computer and use AutoRuns in an offline mode to remove all traces of avast.

https://digital-forensics.sans.org/blog/2010/06/28/autoruns-dead-forensics/

It would also be a good idea to get a copy of the Software Registry Hive on a USB flash drive as that contains your Windows 8.1 key.

#11 ChazinFL

ChazinFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

I wonder, I'd think if I could get the computer to run in "Some sort of mode" enough to get at the "Restore" points and just make the computer run like it did 2 days ago I'd be able to get through this. Is there some program or way of hacking Win 8 that will let me do that?

Is there another way to get at the "Restore System" function in my Win 8?

#12 ChazinFL

ChazinFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

OK. I have a Windows 8 Installation USB Drive that I downloaded from Microsoft, I have gone in and changed my BIOS settings to boot from the USB drive. I thought with that there, it would sort of run on that, and was happy when the "Repair Computer" option was there on the Install Now screen, but, alas, it just goes through the same routine.

I've been rooting around in the Log File for the failure to start and there is a bunch of stuff there, but this is what looked like the issue.

I have no idea what this is.

29geec9.jpg

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

It looks like either your OS boot files are missing or your partition table is corrupted and Windows cannot repair it. Was this a Windows 8 install on the USB and the HDD has 8.1? 

#14 ChazinFL

ChazinFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

No I think Win 8.1 was installed originally, I don't have that install USB, a friend gave it to us. The USB Install thing I have for Win 8/8.1 is something from a Microsoft download yesterday. Somewhere I saw a guide to get this in order to boot up and repair the machines Win 8.  

So I'm looking to figure out a way to repair my currently unbootable Win 8.1 so I can continue to use the machine as we have for the past year.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

Can you still access a command prompt? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 February 2016 - 09:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users