Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble with Windows Update - Windows 7 32-bit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hi,

I have an older Acer Veriton M2 computer in which I recently replaced the HDD. It came from the factory with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I made a set of System Restore disks when I bought the machine, and after using them to reinstall the OS on the new HDD, I proceeded to begin the long process of getting the computer up to the latest level with Windows Update. This is where the problems started

I had an update hang in the process of installation and I had to kill it with a forced Power Off. After that, Windows Update didn't work and I had to reinstall the OS again. After this, I got smart and created a Restore Point after the OS installation so that I could go back a level and not have to install the OS again in case of a problem.

I had trouble with installing updates - specifically the Windows 7 SP1 update which came with another group of updates and was far smaller (7.9 MB) than the SP1 update is supposed to be. After installing it, I checked the computer's Properties and they did not display the OS at the SP1 level. Next set of updates also had an SP1 update (44 MB) this time. After installing the updates, Properties still did not show the SP1 level.

Went back to a previous Restore Point and then checked for Updates again. This time I got the SP1 update at 67 MB and it seemed to install OK and Properties showed the OS at the SP1 level. I created a Restore Point and then shut it down for the night.

Today, I decided to continue down the Update road, and I did another check for Updates in Windows Update. The "moving green bar" started running and after 30 seconds or so, the Update window closed by itself. Strange. So I opened Windows Update again and did another check for updates. Got the "moving green bar" again and after about a half hour it was still moving. Seemed obvious to me that it was hung, so I killed it with Task Manager, then tried again with the same result.

I went back to the Restore Point that I had created after installing the SP1 update, and then opened Windows Update again. Same thing, so I had to kill it again with Task Manager. I then looked in the Update History and found the top line in the list which read "Installed Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320". It was listed twice as an Important Update, both times with today's date. So a piece of Windows Update software did get installed, but there was no indication from Windows Update that it happened. And with it in place, Windows Update does not work.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and can give me an idea on how to fix the problems so I can get this machine back to a working level again?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

Try updating now...there were problems with the Windows Update site for a portion of yesterday.

Louis

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

Louis,

Thank you. I'll give it another try this evening.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

Louis,

After trying again, all of the updates downloaded and installed correctly. Thanks for the info.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

:thumbup2: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users