Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux distros infected?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Hi,

I was using Ubuntu 14.04 and also 14.04.03. I ran Malwarebytes on it and was surprised to see several Trojans and backdoors on the PC. First, I thought that it was something that happened because of me. But getting suspicious, I checked my Zorin 9 installation, and to my surprise, it had several Trojans and backdoors as well. I used Malwarebytes to find these as well. The last system was hardly used. This makes me think that the image was infected when I got it. Could it be that the distros are distributed with malware, or are those just false positives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:55 PM

That's interesting as Malwarebytes doesn't make an edition for linux as far as I know and you can't scan an EXT linux partition using Malwarebytes for Windows. They do make a scanner for MAC though. You should post the inquiry in the linux forum.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 February 2016 - 01:57 PM.

#3 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Oh, okay. I used Malwarebytes through Wine.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

Okay, I see. I don't think that would work unless is finds trojans on some Windows files you downloaded. This would be a good question to ask in the linux forum and I would be interested in the answer as well. Good Luck.

#5 Arthfael

Arthfael

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

Check with Zorin itself would be my first action. If the image was infected, you wouldn't be the only one with the issue. I suspect that MBAM was seeing something in other files not related to Zorin or they were FPs. I wouldn't try to run programs like that through Wine, but that's just me.

#6 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

I am new to Linux and wanted to know your opinion as to why you wouldn't run Malwarebytes through Wine.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hi

Using Malwarebytes in Wine to scan Linux is a pointless exercise and will result in false positives if it even works. Malwarebytes is made for Windows operating system and looks for Windows based Malware.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 10 February 2016 - 04:22 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

Also posted in Linux here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605085/linux-distros-infected/

All discussion of this issue will continue in that topic.

This one is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users