Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NCSllc

NCSllc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

I have a Windows 7 64 computer that will not boot.

Startup repair returns the event "StartupRepairOffline". System Restore fails while copying the registry from the restore point. (0x80070003).

SFC /scannow fails with the error "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete."

This is a payroll computer with an old program that is unavailable and the media has vanished. The data is still intact for a backup but I am worried about the programs installed.

Thank you,

Ben 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

How old is that hard drive?  It could be failing, so I'd back that data up ASAP if you haven't already.  Seagate drives in particular have had high failure rates in the last couple of years.  It sounds like you need to run diagnostics on that hard drive, and check the system event error log for hard drive errors.  With a payroll computer I don't need to tell you that you want a computer that's as reliable as possible, so consider getting one you know can be depended on, and install your software and data on it.

Good luck

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 NCSllc

NCSllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

It is 5 years old. I have the drive imaged and loaded on a new drive. Of course that doesn't fix the Windows issues but it at least keeps the data safe. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

Well...what you call "Windows issues" may, in fact, be "hard drive isssues."

I would run the long diagnostic on the hard drive in question.

FWIW

Louis

#5 NCSllc

NCSllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have copied the drive to a new one. It still goes through the same failures. Any other options?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?  Can you boot into Windows at all?  I'm unclear  as to how you are getting Windows error messages if you cannot boot into Windows.

Louis

#7 NCSllc

NCSllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

The computer boots straight to the recovery console. F8 does nothing. The error messages are from the failed startup repair and the failed system restore. 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

How to Repair a Corrupt Windows 7 Installation PCWorld - http://www.pcworld.com/article/243190/how_to_repair_a_corrupt_windows_7_installation.html

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Repair Install - Windows 7 - http://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users