Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - wifi icon says no connections are available

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 leegold

leegold

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

All of a sudden, the wifi icon says "no connections are available", also in >ipconfig /all the wifi adapter does not show up. The icon sits there with a red X over it. It's an HP8710w with an Intel 4965AGN. It looks OK in the device manager. It works OK in Linux.

I have tried all attempts with manipulating the driver. Updating, deleting then restating - I would bet if you mention some maneuver regarding driver for the adapter I've probably tried it already in vain. I have some things in the services...I have looked at the error log yet. I tried Win7's self-diagnosis and self-fixing.

Before I do a reinstall of Win7, maybe there's other things I could try. Any suggestion appreciated.

Also I remember in XP there was a way to use the install disk to repair corrupted system files - not sure the steps for this in Win7(?) Would that help?

Any diagnostic info needed about please cite it and I will post. Thanks.

I

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

did you see if there is a physical switch on the laptop that turns off the wifi adapter?

#3 leegold

leegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

Of course - it's on. I could be missing something, but I think I tried all obvious and some not so obvious fixes. Again, All "tricks" with drivers have been tried and things work fine with Linux.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

Was the driver you updated direct from intel? If not go here and download the larger download that included intel's wireless software.

Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers): Wireless_15.3.1_s64.exe

If that does not work then download the Network Repair Utility. Select your Wifi adapter in the dropdown box. Press Recommend Repair.

#5 leegold

leegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:39 AM

yep, tried the Intel drivers, tried HP drivers. I've tried just about every driver thing you could try.

will try the repair program you linked. A usb wifi dongle works. it has it's own connection software: REALTEK RTL8187 Wireless LAN Utility.

Edited by leegold, 11 February 2016 - 01:14 AM.

#6 leegold

leegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:57 AM

The network repair utility cannot fix it. The laptop's wifi adapter is not in the utility's dropdown menu. Like I said above:  >ipconfig /all   ... the wifi adapter does not show up. It's in the device manager, the driver is installed, . Everything seems setup. But it' does not showing in ipconfig nor the utility...yet it's in the device manager nicely. It's in the network and sharing center>change adapter settings - shows up just fine - can right-click> properties do all the stuff.

It's like it's installed but the system at a certain level can't get a "grip" on it. Maybe this diagnostic?

#7 leegold

leegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:23 AM

Fixed.

It was Zone Alarm Firewall. That was the problem. Even if I exited it completely and turned it off it still "screwed" the laptop's wifi.

I had to uninstalled it, rebooted and now the laptop's wifi works OK. I had it installed for years and never a problem - but something changed - maybe in the service for it that starts with bootup. Sorry I should of mentioned it in the first post but it always worked OK and didn't suspect it at first.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

Nice troubleshooting. Thanks for taking the time to post a solution. 

#9 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

nice.. did you always have zone alarm? or did you add it recently then the wifi stopped working? 

#10 leegold

leegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

always used it - never a problem so I didn't suspect it. I installed it again and works OK again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users