Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Absurd physical memory usage and random hanging..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Draghy

Draghy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

So I opened the PC yesterday and I was getting this huge lag on the desktop, even in the Welcome window. After openning the Task Manager I noticed this crazy 95% of physical memory, the CPU was also constantly at 50% due to that pesky svchost.exe. After further study I noticed that the physical memory usage wouldn't drop below 80% even after closing a lot of processes. So after a few hangs I managed to google out the issue and some threads on the Microsoft website pointed it to this faulty WMPNetworkSvc, a so-called Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. Indeed, the service was running so I stopped it and made sure it wouldn't automatically start ever again. Things got a bit better, but Task Manager still shows that absurd number of physical memory usage around 93% . I can now surf the web quite smoothly, watch videos or listen to music, but I still can't play any video games properly. 

So, what suggestions do you guys have to improve my overall performance? I seriously don't know what could still be causing me under-normal performance. Maybe something with that svchost.exe ?

Edited by Draghy, 10 February 2016 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

Take a look at this thread on superuser. The answer to that question links to a program called "RamMap". It should give you a better look at what is exactly using memory at any given time. Also read the answer, the person that wrote it has some good info there. It may or may not help, but you should be able to tell what is eating most of your memory. Something clearly is.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Draghy

Draghy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

Take a look at this thread on superuser. The answer to that question links to a program called "RamMap". It should give you a better look at what is exactly using memory at any given time. Also read the answer, the person that wrote it has some good info there. It may or may not help, but you should be able to tell what is eating most of your memory. Something clearly is.

Didn't really understand too much of that thread, but I figured out it's something similar to my problem. As for the RamMap thingy, I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it, but I checked the Processes tab and the numbers just don't add up. 

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

RamMap should give you a better overall look at what exactly is going on with your memory. It will tell you things that task manager won't, like mapped memory. Paste a couple screen shots of the "Use counts" tab and the "Processes" tab. That will hopefully show us a bit more of what is going on.

Also, how much physical memory do you have installed? Have you installed any new programs lately? Does this problem occur right from the start of booting the computer or does it take a little while to go up to the 90% range?

#5 Draghy

Draghy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

I have 3 GB of memory installed. I haven't installed any new programs lately myself, but I do have a little brother and he does mess around sometimes. The problem occurs right after boot, even durring the Welcome screen with the users and stuff.

Here are the screenshots:

f9d951464392525.jpg 

18f3d6464392530.jpg 

2966bc464392535.jpg 

959fa2464392540.jpg 

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

You have a couple issues.

One is that Chrome is using right around half a gig of memory. The other is that svchost.exe (as you mentioned in your first post) is using well over a half a gig of memory. So there goes over 1 gig of memory right there between two processes. Chrome is pretty easy to take care of, look here on how to close some of those processes out.

I'll have to look into svchost.exe.

But between those two proceses, you are eating almost half the memory you have, so that would be your issue. One such way to fix this, is get an upgrade in memory. 3GB is pretty low for today's standards.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

Here something I found in regards to svchost.exe. If you have Windows Management Framework 3.0 installed it could be a bug, and you could try the hotfix in the linked Microsoft site. I think you can check the installed programs list in the uninstall program that is located in control panel for the management framework to see if you have it.

#8 Draghy

Draghy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

You have a couple issues.

One is that Chrome is using right around half a gig of memory. The other is that svchost.exe (as you mentioned in your first post) is using well over a half a gig of memory. So there goes over 1 gig of memory right there between two processes. Chrome is pretty easy to take care of, look here on how to close some of those processes out.

I'll have to look into svchost.exe.

But between those two proceses, you are eating almost half the memory you have, so that would be your issue. One such way to fix this, is get an upgrade in memory. 3GB is pretty low for today's standards.

Chrome is not a problem as I only keep it open when I need it. svchost on the other side, is way nastier. And about my RAM, well I mainly play old games, so it's no big deal. It's enought for me.

The hotfix installer is giving me an error. Any other ideas?

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Chrome is not a problem as I only keep it open when I need it. svchost on the other side, is way nastier. And about my RAM, well I mainly play old games, so it's no big deal. It's enought for me.

Remember though, that Chrome still runs in the background even if the browser itself is not open. So any extensions you have installed will continue to eat RAM.

As far as svchhost.exe....

Here is something else I found on it. You could try solution 2. Sounds like you might have done something like this from your first post. If that doesn't work... I'm not sure. I would just do what I have been doing, continue to google search and see what comes up and give things a try.

I just google searched "svchost.exe high memory".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users