Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Non-System Disk Error" or "Disk Error" AND MORE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DConf

DConf

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

I had Windows Vista installed on my laptop and then it started coming up with this error. So I copied all the files using TestDisk and then formatted.

I copied all the files back to the hard drive but it still came up with the error, even though the hard drive works fine, I can read all the files on it when I connect it to another laptop using a HD enclosure and no issues. But it just keeps coming up with this error, I even tried booting it with the HD enclosure (USB) but it didn't work either (on either laptop), the same error comes up.

I made sure that the hard drive is first on the boot order and nothing else was connected when I tried it.

I then backed up the Windows Vista files using TestDisk again, deleted them from the hard drive and copied all the files of my other laptop (Windows 8) to the same hard drive but it still comes up with the same error!!!

Even though the laptop that has Windows 8 works fine and I copied all the files from it. and the hard drive doesn't come up with any errors and I can read all the files on it when connected to the Windows 8 laptop (HD enclosure).

Please help! I don't know what to do anymore. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Have you tried running Startup Repair?

Have you tried using the bootrec commands (fixmbr/fixboot/rebuildbcd)?

Have you tried reinstalling Vista?

I suspect that the disk isn't setup correctly, and I doubt if TestDisk is equipped to change disk settings that aren't set correctly.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DConf

DConf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

Have you tried running Startup Repair? Yes

Have you tried using the bootrec commands (fixmbr/fixboot/rebuildbcd)?​ Yes. The first two worked but didn't fix the issue. RebuildBCD did not work, and bcdboot didn't help (GPT partition).

Have you tried reinstalling Vista? I don't have the installation disc - but I tried using the Windows 8 repair disc after I copied the Windows 8 files to it and it didn't work, it said that the disc is locked or something like that.

I suspect that the disk isn't setup correctly, and I doubt if TestDisk is equipped to change disk settings that aren't set correctly.​ - How did it happen and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Edited by DConf, 11 February 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

I would suggest posting over in the Windows Vista forums for specific instructions on how to rebuild the boot stuff on Vista.

Here's a link to it:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/72/windows-vista/

I have used TestDisk exactly once (about 5 years ago), and wasn't successful with it.
As I recall it's just a method of data recovery - and it can't fix problems with broken files/settings.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DConf

DConf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

The hard drive has Windows 8 now so I want to try fixing that first. Because I know the files are fine, the same Windows 8 files are on another laptop and that laptop works fine.

I just used TestDisk to make sure the hard drive is OK and to copy the files, recycle bin etc from one hard drive to the other.

How can I fix it?

When I used the Windows 8 repair disc :

When I tried refreshing or resetting the PC:
The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.​

COMMAND PROMPT

bootrec /fixmbr
The operation completed successfully.
bootrec.exe /fixboot
The operation completed successfully.
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
Please wait, since this may take a while.
Successfully scanned Windows installlations.
Total Identified Windows Installations: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A):

Y
the requested system device cannot be found.

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

Post in the Windows 8 forum requesting help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/209/windows-8-and-windows-81/

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users