Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Microsoft's Aggressive Push to W10 Legal?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

Why is what Microsoft is doing to us, forcing us to upgrade to their new OS, forcing us to sign agreements that appear to give them free reign over our stored information, legal?  First of all, they are a monopoly because much of the more exotic software is written for Windows, so in a sense we have to agree to whatever they put in their user agreement in order to access our software.  Isn't this a form of blackmail and extortion?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 February 2016 - 11:49 AM.
moved from General Chat to Window 10 Discussion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Arthfael

Arthfael

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

It's legal, yes. They aren't doing anything with our data that Google hasn't been doing for years, and the Windows 10 upgrade isn't really forced. Microsoft is certainly changing direction, for worse in my own opinion. But nothing is illegal about it.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

You have the option to not use their product/s. No one is forcing you to upgrade or buy. Hence the blackmail/extortion argument is not applicable. Inconvenient? Undoubtedly. Filled with angst and foreboding in how they went about it? Yep. Illegal? Nope.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

Post #3 "No one is forcing you to upgrade..."

It's getting dangerously close to that, at present ms will do everything except ticking the final box behind the user's back and often without the user's approval. At present the prompts to upgrade, despite their wording, can still be stopped. A background download has been performed (taking up a user's harddrive space and internet bandwidth), but the current OS will remain unless the user chooses to use the downloaded files and upgrade (atleast it is said to be that way, I'm not sure what happens if a user sees such a prompt and doesn't close it. I'm not sure whether, if a user utterly gnores the prompt, installation might occur against their will.). But the way things are going it could get worse, what is stopping ms going as far as fully forcing installation as well as performing downloads behind the back for users who have not been carefully avoiding a series of updates distributed over the last half year or more.

This is especially concerning in the light of the fact that the below can occur (I've seen it mentioned in a few other threads over the years, now it's happened to someone again):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605028/has-microsoft-changed-my-update-settings/

Edited by rp88, 10 February 2016 - 03:42 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

All this is more reason to create full system backups!  There were many reasons to do that before Windows 10, but this just adds to them.  1 TB external hard drives are as cheap as $30 and there are plenty of good free backup programs.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which is free for home use, but there are many others as well.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

I have many system image backups, one is made with macrium but most are made with windows' internal image making tool. I do worry however that such backups might not work on a system which has had it's OS changed from the one it had on it when the images were made. If a machine which was bought with windows7/8.1 preinstalled was upgraded and there were none of the normal "go back to your old OS" options available after upgrade then I'm not sure whether such a system image, be it made with windows' internal image making tool or made with a third party tool, would be able to get it back to the old OS.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Arthfael

Arthfael

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

Microsoft is desperate I personally think. Windows 8 was another Vista in a lot of eyes. They're also trying very hard to get in on the social/data action, and Windows 10 is a direct result of that. They want to be a leader in tech again too, and I think that ship has sailed. If they thought they could get away with it, I have little doubt that they would green light automatically installing Windows 10 without consent. However, if they tried that right now I think the company would go up in flames. Will they do it in the future? Knowing them probably.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,634 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:11 PM

They want to be a leader in tech again too, and I think that ship has sailed.

I honestly have no idea of what you're talking about. Microsoft still have the biggest share in the market when it comes to Operating Systems, how isn't that not a proof that they are a Leader at least in that domain?

It's getting dangerously close to that, at present ms will do everything except ticking the final box behind the user's back and often without the user's approval.

Still not forcing you to upgrade. Annoying you with the upgrade, yes. Forcing you, nope.

However, if they tried that right now I think the company would go up in flames.

Or not. You think it's possible for companies to stop using Windows Server, move to another OS and migrate all their stuff like that without it costing them million of dollars? Microsoft would get fired at from every direction in the consumer market, but the business market probably won't give a damn about it as long as they don't force that kind of thing on their computers, and we both know that it won't do that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

They want to be a leader in tech again too, and I think that ship has sailed.

I honestly have no idea of what you're talking about. Microsoft still have the biggest share in the market when it comes to Operating Systems, how isn't that not a proof that they are a Leader at least in that domain?

Microsoft is still loosing out in the mobile market , sure on desktops no one has touched them but both android and ios are kicking the crap out of them mobile wise.

To be sure this has worried them that people are paying more attention to the mobile market so they think that hyping windows 10 on the desktop will translate to mobile shares, I think that is what they are trying to do.

Also with microsoft being its own worst competition is another factor, they pulled almost the same trick with Vista

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 February 2016 - 10:32 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,634 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

My bad, I should have specified the desktop and server market. And I don't think it's relevant if they are getting beat up by Android and iOS, since Windows never had a significant share in the mobile OS anyway, so it's not like they lost anything there, they just never managed to take a good spot.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

My bad, I should have specified the desktop and server market. And I don't think it's relevant if they are getting beat up by Android and iOS, since Windows never had a significant share in the mobile OS anyway, so it's not like they lost anything there, they just never managed to take a good spot.

Actually mobile means a lot to them, it means windows has competition.

Sure its not on the same platform but its still a viable threat, after all desktop sales are down and mobile sales are steady.

Sure the desktop is far from dead despite what Tim Cook says but mobile is getting better at performance and capability. 

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 Arthfael

Arthfael

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:32 AM

I should have been a lot more specific in my post, as I was referring to their desire to be more "modern". Metro, the cloud, their new thirst for data, it all shows them trying to catch up. They can't be touched in desktop because the competition is either hopelessly fragmented and inconsistent, which is the case with Linux, or completely overpriced in the case of Apple. I'm getting way off topic now though. Mobile is actually getting stagnant, in my own opinion of course. And the increasing restrictions with data carriers isn't helping. 

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:41 AM

Well even if we dont factor in the mobile market there is still the one thing Microsoft doesnt want, a repeat of windows XP,

Windows 7 for many is the new XP, its stable, reliable and works as it should.

Contrast that to windows 8 and well you get the issue.

And yes both Apple and Linux are a viable threat and always will be, but Microsoft in the end will still be its own worst competition.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 Arthfael

Arthfael

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:18 AM

Windows 7 is already a repeat of XP for Microsoft. That alone is enough reason for them to be as aggressive as they have been about Windows 10. Microsoft repeatedly goes through these phases of good/decent/terrible, and when they are in their good phase, people hang on to the release for dear life. Apple is viable, yes, but they will never take over the desktop at their prices. Linux still has too many issues to be widely adopted. Anyway, they are years behind in mobile, and I doubt they'll ever catch up. The Windows situation will always be the same. They'll keep their phases going, and they'll keep trying to push new releases to a public that is doing just fine without them and a corporate world that doesn't want them. 

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

Android is Linux you know and in that respect Linux is quite dominant

Proud Vivaldi user.