Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Microsoft Changed my update settings?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:42 AM

Hi,

Has anybody else noticed this on their WIndows 7 Computer?

A few days ago I went to switch off my laptop and noticed the little yellow shield on the "Shut Down" button.

Today, by chance, I noticed that the Windows Updates were set to "Automatically download and Install".

This is NOT MY setting........ I've told Win7 (as with other versions) to "Check and Notify"

Now my PC is waiting for me to turn off the computer so that it can install .........I don't know what.

How can I stop it install something that I didn't ask it to?

Anybody else have this problem recently?

Thanks

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Within windows update in control panel is there any option to cancel, there generally will be at the time when updates are being downloaded but I'm not sure if there is still such an option for cancellation after download has finished and updates are waiting for a restart so they can install. It might be that the only possible method is to restart then find out afterwards what was installed and remove it then. But I suggest you try to wait longer and see if anyone can give further advice. Maybe if the updates are stored somewhere on the system before installng their files could be renamed or something s they wouldn't be installed, But I cannot be sure if this would work, it might instead damage important system files severely.

If you had a system image you could restore to that, but it would be easiest to first allow the restart, see what updates they were and remove them that way instead, most of the time updates can be removed like this, a system mage would only be needed for the few updates which cannot.

The below concerns your problem in general, and is more a guide to working out why windows update's settings changed and stopping it happeneing again. The below won't very likely be of help in dealing with your present situation where you have updates already downloaded and waiting fro restart.

On the subject of the update settings being changed I have heard of this before, but never seen it personally. I can quite imagine how dangerous this could be, updates are something which many users need to be very careful about which they install, the setting being changed from the user's chosen setting is very concerning.

I would suggest you look to see if you have any "software updater" programs present, they might be parts of certain antiviruses, parts of manufacturer's built in "general support" software, or perhaps parts of some kind of "optimizer" program (optimizers are generally ineffective, and they can be damaging in some circumstances. If you have one you might well want to uninstall it.). Some such things could perhaps change windows update settings, if you have any such products search in their settings and see if they have a software updater in them, if so turn that bt of the program off.

I suggest you also look at which windows updates have been installed in the recent past, have any of those many updates to wuauclt that have been coming out since summer been installed on your machine?

Other tips are to look for services in the "services" tab of task manager, click the link "open services" and look down the list which is listed. See if there are any thrid party software updating services running, also look for services from the manufacturer, don't disable them yet, but report what they are on a post here. Also look for the windows update service in the services list, it should be set to "manual trigger start" for users wanting "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download".

One other thing, is KB3013816 installed? If so it would be a long time ago, it might be able to cause updates to switch unwelcomely to fully automatic mode.

Edited by rp88, 10 February 2016 - 03:20 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hi rp88,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the control panel as you suggested but (or at least I) couldn't find anywhere to cancel the installation.

Before restarting the computer, I checked for updates but there weren't any. In fact there was no message to say that a "Restart is needed to finish the updating" .

After restarting the computer "NOTHING" showed up in the history of updates, not even failed attempts.

I then checked again for updates and there were 14 updates. There were and are 2 optional updates:

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3, Graphics Adapter WDDM2.0 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

The last one (Windows 10) says it is optional but it is ALWAYS checked to download. I have to uncheck it so as to not download it before clicking "Install updates". Even when I check for updates but there aren't any, this is ALWAYS checked.

As for the graphics card one, it has never downloaded. I get an error about half way through downloading. However on checking the nVidia website, my graphics card is up to date well at least the last time I checked.

Despite this, the biggest problem for me is that something changed the setting to automatic.

Now this is dangerous because I should do a "Backup" of my photos, documents etc  (yes I do but not every two minutes) before I upgrade to Windows 10.

This brings another question to mind, Would it be upgraded to Win 10 if it is "Optional" but ticked?

Apart from the Windows Update, I couldn't see anything special in Task Manager.

Ah before I go, No I don't have KB3013816 on the computer.

Thank you anyway.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users