Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2012 r2 failover cluster DFS issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevindunford

kevindunford

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:53 AM

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Failover Cluster.

I have a Windows 2012 R2 Failover Cluster.

I have been able to use the Copy Cluster Role to migrate 70 VM’s and the DHCP service from the Windows 2008R2 Failover Cluster to the Windows 2012R2 failover cluster, however I have an issue when migrating the DFS service! The Copy Cluster Role wizard completes without an issue however when I bring the DFS service online the Namespace fails. :-(

As a side note I’m able to create a new DFS on the Windows 2012 R2 Failover Cluster, if I use a different Servername and Namespace name. I have even deleted the DFS on the Windows 2008 R2 Failover Cluster and deleted the Servername from AD to recreate on the Windows 2012 R2 Failover Cluster, however this also fails.

The DFS Servername and namespace needs to be the same as clients and services require this path for accessing files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is there any additional information you would like me to post?

Kev

ERROR MESSAGE

ERR   [RCM] rcm::RcmResControl<class rcm::RcmResource>::DoResControlAsync: (183)' because of 'Key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfs\Roots\Standalone\ppd-ppd-dfs is already being checkpointed for resource Namespace Root. Key name fdd982e3-75db-41bf-af4c-7dc8e294dac4.'
ERR   [RCM] rcm::RcmResControl<class rcm::RcmResource>::DoResControlAsync: (183)' because of 'Key System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DFS\Parameters\Replicated is already being checkpointed for resource Namespace Root. Key name 035b73cd-7c8d-4a12-81fa-d614e4858b61.'
INFO  [RES] Distributed File System <Namespace Root>: Share 'PPD' is a dfs root, online dfs
INFO  [GEM] Node 1: Deleting [3:35338 , 3:35338] (both included) as it has been ack'd by every node
ERR   [RES] Distributed File System <Namespace Root>: Share is not marked as a DFS root!
ERR   [RHS] Online for resource Namespace Root failed

Edited by kevindunford, 10 February 2016 - 03:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Donnababy

Donnababy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

Full-featured Windows Server 2012 R2 product evaluation available for ISO or VHD download. Also available for trial on Microsoft Azure or Virtual Labs.

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

No menton of the specific error that you are experiencing in these KB's, however they do list the recommended patch level for Windows 2012r2 clusters, and for 2008r2 and 2012r2 DFS implementations.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2920151

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2951262

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/968429

Barring any other more relevant information that might come to light, you could do worse than bringing your servers up to these patch levels.

x64

#4 kevindunford

kevindunford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:58 AM

sorry fro not posting error.

ERROR

ERR [RCM] rcm::RcmResControl::DoResControlAsync: (183)' because of 'Key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfs\Roots\Standalone\ppd-ppd-dfs is already being checkpointed for resource Namespace Root. Key name fdd982e3-75db-41bf-af4c-7dc8e294dac4.'

ERR [RCM] rcm::RcmResControl::DoResControlAsync: (183)' because of 'Key System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DFS\Parameters\Replicated is already being checkpointed for resource Namespace Root. Key name 035b73cd-7c8d-4a12-81fa-d614e4858b61.'

INFO [RES] Distributed File System : Share 'PPD' is a dfs root, online dfs

INFO [GEM] Node 1: Deleting [3:35338 , 3:35338] (both included) as it has been ack'd by every node

ERR [RES] Distributed File System : Share is not marked as a DFS root!

ERR [RHS] Online for resource Namespace Root failed

Before adding the dfs I made sure that ppd-dfs wasn't in the following paths of registry on all Nodes.

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfs\Roots\Standalone\ppd-ppd-dfs

System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DFS\Parameters\Replicated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users