Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 spies on you despite disabling tracking options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

Here is what he found. In an eight hour period Windows 10 tried to send data back to 51 different Microsoft IP addresses over 5500 times. After 30 hours of use, Windows 10 sent his user data to a whopping 113 IP addresses which he has listed in the thread.

CheesusCrust has more surprises for us. He then repeated his test on another Windows 10 clean installation with all data tracking options disabled. Only this time he installed a third party tool called DisableWinTracking (available on GitHub), which is supposed to stop Windows 10 spying attempts including the hidden ones.

On this DisableWinTracking installed PC, CheesusCrust found that at the end of the 30 hour period Windows 10 had still managed report back his data to Redmond based servers a whopping 2758 times to 30 different IP addresses.

http://www.techworm.net/2016/02/windows-10-spies-disabling-tracking-installing-anti-spying-app.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:45 AM

Nothing new... Windows 10 is made for spying/tracking! Everyone who does his own research knows this...

Just use CurrPorts or Wireshark and be amazed about all those "random" connections!

Even if you manage to disable everything, M$ just sneaks it back in via the automatic (mandatory) updates!

There's no use in fighting your own OS, accept it or change OS...  :thumbup2:

Greets!

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

I suggest that anyone who believes this hoo-ha has not bothered to do their own homework and are being taken in hook, line, and sinker.

I've been running Glasswire on my computer since December, with pretty much all privacy settings set to their respective "keep it private" settings and my system health reporting left at "full."   The amount of outgoing traffic to Microsoft has been minuscule.

Don't trust me, install a traffic monitor of your choosing and your results will be the same.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:22 AM

Wrong thread.

Edited by Aura, 10 February 2016 - 11:22 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users