Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Starting With Video Card Installed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GrimAlchemist

GrimAlchemist

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

About a month ago I had a display error while gaming, where the view went off center, with a black bar in the center of my screen on a single monitor and the cursor crossed from one side of the screen to the other. The black bar seemed to be the edge of the display. A system restart fixed that problem.

The next day I added a second monitor to the set-up and for several hours everything was working fine, until my computer froze and I was forced to hard reboot. After that, my computer booted through the BIOS and Windows was starting to load before my display went black.

Back on a single monitor, I was able to boot windows in Safe Mode, and went through a process of rolling back drivers. Rolling back the drivers didn't fix the problem, so I tried reinstalling the drivers. Reinstalling had my windows begin to start like normal, reaching the desktop, but a moment after that the display went black again.

I uninstalled the video card and plugged my monitor into the motherboard integrated graphics and my computer was able to start and run normally.

While running off of the on-board graphics, I would experiences instances of 'stuttering', with the computer briefly freezing, never for longer than a second and never very often (5-6 times per day).

Shortly after that I was able to get a hold of a new graphics card, believing that to be the problem, but after I installed the new card, my computer would no longer boot. The fans would start up, the case lights would come on, but there would be no display, and no power to any of the peripherals. Connecting the monitor to the motherboard while keeping the card installed had the same result. Uninstalling the card and connecting the monitor to the motherboard had the system boot normally.

Installing a new PSU has the same problems as before - with the 6870 installed, the fans spin up, case lights come on, peripherals power up, display starts, motherboard/BIOS info appears, but then the display goes blank.

With the 370 installed, the fans spin up, case lights come on, but the peripherals do not power up, and the display doesn't start.

My specs:

• CPU: Intel i5-2400
  • Graphics (old): Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870
  • Graphics (new): XFX AMD Radeon R7 370
  • Graphics (motherboard/cpu): Intel HD Graphics (integrated graphics)
  • Memory: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 (4GB x 2)
  • Storage: Western Digital 1TB SATA 64MB Cache
  • PSU (old): OCZ Mod XStream Pro 600W
  • PSU (new): EVGA GQ 650W
  • Motherboard: ECS H61H2-M2

Thank you all in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

Did you remove the old drivers completely using a tool like Display Driver Uninstaller?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 GrimAlchemist

GrimAlchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:24 AM

Running a driver uninstaller has allowed me to start the PC using the AMD Radeon HD6870 and boot windows.  I'm getting some drivers for it now to see if things are all working.

I did also try plugging in the AMD Radeon R7 370 after the 6870 started up, but the 370 had the same problem as before (the system didn't boot, no power to peripherals, no display).  Since that is the beefier card, and the one I would prefer to use, what can I start to do towards troubleshooting that issue?

Edited by GrimAlchemist, 10 February 2016 - 02:42 AM.

#4 GrimAlchemist

GrimAlchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

During the driver installation (link) the display flickered and then went blank.  I waited for 10 minutes to see if the situation resolved, and to let anything that might be running in the background finish, but I think the computer had crashed (not certain).  I forced a shut down, and then I was able to boot back up and windows started again, but it looks like the drivers did not install (also not certain).  In Device Manager > Display Adapters, it says 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

Edited by GrimAlchemist, 10 February 2016 - 02:42 AM.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

If it shows that, than the drivers did not install. Are you using the latest AMD Crimson drivers for the 370?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 GrimAlchemist

GrimAlchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

I have not tried installing any drivers for the 370, since the system wouldn't boot with that card.  Should I try installing drivers for the 370 beforehand and then plug it in and see if that works?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users