Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't apply Samsung S.W. updates in Win10.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

I use a Samsung NP3530EC notebook (i3 processor), it's my one and only PC. Nearly 3 years old.

When I used Win8 (up until about 5 months ago), I was able to update Samsung software for this device as and when prompted to do so, much in the same way that we can (or should, at least!) update Windows when a newer version is available.

However, since switching to Win10, I have not seen any notifications of any new Samsung SW updates being available, neither have I been prompted (via pop-up on screen) to download any.

This is causing me some concern because I am fully aware of the need to keep software up-to-date so as to minimize the risk of old versions being exploited by malware etc.

And the plot thickens because after visiting Samsung PC support page and downloading the software updater, Windows blocked it cold when I tried to run it, mentioning it might harm my computer. Here is the link to the download page... http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/category/pcperipheralsprinter/notebooknetbook/

This leads me to believing that I am running outdated Samsung software on my pc which might make my device vulnerable to being exploited in some way.

I am currently using MWB Anti-Exploit in an attempt to get a little peace of mind until I find out why I am unable to use the SW Updater.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why Windows (10) is blocking the use of SW Updater on my Samsung notebook??

Edited by robby501, 09 February 2016 - 04:59 PM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

To me it looks like your Samsung SW Updater is behaving normally. Take a look at the download page for your specific laptop model.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP3530EC-A0FDX

See how all the drivers and software for it are dated from 2012? To me it means that these software haven't been updated since, and therefore, there's no update available for them via the Samsung SW Updater. Although it is true that OEM-specific software can be exploited, it's quite rare. And usually, if a serious critical flaw or security hole exist in them, it'll be publicized a lot on the web and in the tech medias (like the ones with Dell, HP and Lenovo software). I haven't heard of anything about Samsung, except when they were busted for keeping a persistence on a program that would prevent Windows Update from working on their pre-built computers/laptops.

Also, I was able to download and launch the installer successfully without any error/warning prompt from Windows.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

Ok Aura,

Thanks for your input here and also the fact that you obviously dedicated some of your time towards testing this out for yourself, presumably on a Samsung device?

As I described, when using Windows 8, I was pretty much always seeing a Samsung SW 'pop-up' appear on my device (on a weekly basis at least) informing me to update this, or update that, etc.....but since changing to Win 10 this has not occurred, or indeed been allowed/offered to me as it once was. I even had an option to check for SW updates (at any time I liked) featured in my tool bar at the bottom right of my screen next to the speaker volume and battery click-on logos, but this has since disappeared.

As I mentioned, I am able to download the SW Update facility, but not use it as I would have once been able to before (screenshot).

Further to this, not long after purchasing my notebook in spring 2013, I was pretty deflated to hear that Samsung had stopped marketing their notebooks in Europe, so maybe this has something to do with it, I wonder? 

Attached File  samsung update failure.PNG   346.73KB   0 downloads

The fact that you yourself were able to launch SW on your device and I cannot still leaves me with a level of concern....and all this business with Samsung pulling out of Europe suggests that (to me at least) I should start putting some £ Sterling to one side to save up for another device from a different manufacturer because presumably, if Samsung have stopped selling their lappies here in Europe, parts (fans, screens etc) won't be available here either should I need to make any repairs!!!???

Anyway, like I said, thanks for your input, especially in light of the fact that you have put my mind considerably at rest regarding the (un)-likelihood of this issue having the potential to cause me any grief as far as exploitation is concerned. :thumbup2:

Edited by robby501, 10 February 2016 - 08:58 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

I think the difference here is that you're trying to run the program from within the archive (.zip), while I extracted the content ran the .exe after. Maybe you could try it this way to see if SmartScreen still interfere?

And also, it looks like your laptop isn't officially supporting Windows 10, so it could explain why some Samsung software don't work properly. Also, if you clean installed Windows 10 and have almost no Samsung-related software, it would explain why SW doesn't offer updates, since the programs aren't even installed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users