Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP ADDRESS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ORGENES

ORGENES

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Hi everyone....

I have a thread to discuss, but first how to know IP address of a computer?.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

Most likely you have two, a public ip assigned by your ISP and a private one behind your local network. Your public one is known on the internet, the private one isnt routeable to the internet. There are several ways. Your public:  http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Private: At the start orb type in cmd in the search field and click enter. then at the prompt type in ipconfig/enter, private ip will be in the form of 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

theres a topic here that may help also:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536252/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-private-ip-address-or-a-public-ip-address/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

To expound on the response provided by shelf life.  Your computer may have multiple IP addresses.  The wired network interface card (NIC), wireless NIC may have IP addresses, if they do they will be unique, if they are not unique you will receive duplicate IP error messages.  Additionally you may have both an IPv4 and IPv6 address for each NIC.

As shelf life said these may be private IP addresses.  A private IP address will not route on the Internet.  Two common private IP address ranges start with 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x.

If your machine is not attached to a network that has a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) device/server and is set to obtain an IP address automatically you will get an IP address of 169.254.x.x.

The address you need to know will depend on what you intend on doing.  If it is on your own network, file sharing or printing for instance, you need the NIC address.  You will need the public address for things from the Internet, playing games and remote access.

You can find your NIC addresses by running the command CMD.  This will open a black window.  Type in IPCONFIG and press  enter.  This will give you basic information.  You can type IPCONFIG /ALL to get more in depth information.

You can find your public IP address by going to WhatIsMyIP.org.

Edited by Kilroy, 10 February 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#4 ORGENES

ORGENES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

Thanks guys, now  i know both private and public IP address of my computer.

ok, the main thing i want to know is: How can i create a network system between two computers in order one computer access the folders of another computer?

Help me guys about that task.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

You should open a new topic with the file sharing question.  It is best to limit things to one question per topic.  It makes things easier to find for others.  Additionally you may want to be clearer on what you want to accomplish as that makes a big difference.  Do you want to share files on two windows machines, one windows and one Linux, one windows and a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, are both devices on the same network or over the Internet?  The more defined your question the better the responses you will receive.

#6 ORGENES

ORGENES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

Ok, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users