Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rosewill 3.0 USB Card causing black screen in Win 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rickyearl

Rickyearl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

I have an older machine with the following specs:

CPU: Q6600 

DIMM: pc6400 ddr2 800mhz Patriot 4GB (2 x 2 GB)

MB: Asus P5ne-SLI

HDD: WD 1 GB

GPU: PNY GForce 750Ti

PSU - Seasonic 620W

Works fine for its uses - internet, streaming and Microsoft Office.  No gaming.  

When it was running Win 8.1, the lack of USB 3.0 became a problem, so I purchased a Rosewill RC-505 two-port USB 3.0 card.  It plugged into the PCIE port on the MB, which is right below the GPU.  All worked fine.

So, ever since I upgraded to Win10, I have been getting black screens almost daily.  Doesn't matter if PC is idle or doing something.  The screen will go black suddenly and will not respond, although the computer appears to be running.  Computer is unresponsive and does not complete tasks (downloading, etc) that were going on when the black screen appeared.  On restart, no error or other indication of anything specific appears in the Event Viewer.  

I tried a lot of things.  Replaced RAM, replaced PSU.  Turned off all sleep, hibernate, fast start options.  Reinstalled Win 10.  Replaced old, old GPU.

Last week I took the machine apart and put it together piece by piece, letting it run overnight after each piece.  All ran fine until Iinstalled the Rosewill RC-505 two-port USB 3.0 card.  Back to black screens in less than an hour.

So here's the advice/question. How likely is it that the Rosewill card is bad and that I just need a new USB 3.0 card?  The card seems to work fine itself.  FWIW, It has a molex connector, and the black screens happen whether it's connected or not.  

One thing that has occurred to me is that, due to the location of the lone PCIE port on the MB, the Rosewill RC-505 two-port USB 3.0 card sits right up against the bottom of the GPU card - almost touching and covering the fan.  Is there a way to tell if the GPU is just overheating because of it?  On the other hand, there's nothing in the event viewer about the card or drivers having any issues.  And it all seemed to work fine in Win 8.1.

I'd really rather not spend much money on this machine, but a new USB 3.0 card is not terribly expensive, so I could live with that.  If it's more complicated I may be better served by a new machine.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

Have you updated the drivers/firmware for the card?  Here's a link:  http://www.rosewill.com/rosewill-rc-505-2-port-usb-3-0-pci-express-card-1.html#product_tabs_Downloads

Check the temps on the video card with this free program:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It is also possible that the PCIe slot (that you plug the card into) is bad.  Can you test by plugging it into another slot?

Finally, using a new OS on an older system will often work.  But, as the OS develops, the likelyhood of incompatibilities cropping up becomes more likely.

Unfortunately, there isn't a sudden announcement that the system is incompatible - rather it's a long, frustrating, drawn out process of trying to fix it until you give up and decide it just ain't gonna work (I had this experience with a Lenovo x61t and Windows 8).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rickyearl

Rickyearl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the response. I will try that temp check and report back.

The Rosewill card is running the latest drivers. And unfortunately that's the only PCI-E slot on this board.

I think you're probably right on the long march to incompatibility. Not sure how much more effort I ought to put into this.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users