Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MB Damaged My CPU... What Are My Options?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fahahus

fahahus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

My System:

CPU - AMD FX-8370 4.0 GHz 8-core
Memory - G.Skill Trident X 2x8gb DDR3-2400
Video Card - XFX R9 280 3gb 1.0GHz
OS - Windows 7 SP1
SSD - AMD Radeon R7 2.5" 120gb
HD - WD Black 2 TB HD
Power Supply - Thermaltake 750W 80+ gold certified semi-modular atx power power supply
Computer Case - Fractal Design Define R5
Fans - 3x Fractal Design 140mm
2x Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140 mm

On Wednesday, my computer shut off while I was working on it. When I tried to turn it back on, it would power on briefly then shut down. After opening the case up I felt the area under my CPU cooler was very hot. I left it to cool down for awhile, then turned it on. I immediately could smell plastic burning from the area around the cooler, and shut it off quickly.

I then proceeded to take the entire system apart. I couldn't find any burn marks anywhere. I put the system back together but replaced the R9 280 with a video card that requires less power so I could test the power supply, and minus the cpu cooler so I could see everything. Within a few seconds of turning it on a fire started so I turned it off immediately. The fire shot out from under the red bar that's between the i/o ports and the CPU socket, where there are a row of round and square capacitors. I have started the RMA process with the MB.

Now I've tested my CPU and RAM in a different computer, and while the RAM is okay, the CPU won't post. I believe that the mobo damaged the CPU. Does that mean the processor's warranty is invalid? Is ASRock at fault, so they need to reimburse me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

I would recommend contacting them. I do not know their policies.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 fahahus

fahahus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:25 AM

Which them should I contact first about the CPU, AMD or ASRock?

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

Asrock

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 fahahus

fahahus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

Will do, and thanks for the prompt replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users