Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira Pro? what douse not not have?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

I am wondering Avira Pro, douse it have less than like Bitdefender total security ? protection wise? douse it have alot of loop holes in it security wise? i was just wondering because it has good detection rates but i feel like its missing something, that other AVs have and wondering if i should spend my time on it and instead just go for something like bitdefender?

Could you help thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:07 PM

Avira Pro is an anti-virus. Bitdefender Total Security is a suite. Most Internet Security products include anti-virus and firewall protection plus various other features depending on the software vendor...and for those reasons it is called a Security suite.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task while other suites leave a much smaller footprint. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

I've been using Avira Anti-Virus Pro for some time now.  The Anti-Virus has plenty of bells and whisles, such as EXEs for specific on-demand scans, one can schedule any number of different weekly scans, activate any one to five various real time protection shields [one activates Windows Firewall].

Edited by RolandJS, 09 February 2016 - 01:22 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

thank you for the good advise i will stick with Avira pro and Malwarebytes anti Malware and as you said windows firewall is the best, i think Avira even say that, that is what i was thinking about the suits that surely separate tools that focus on one thing is better, Avira is super light on my PC thanks for the advise you know any other separate tools that can help benefit in my security?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

spywareblaster or superantispyware, either one, is also helpful.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

You may want to add an anti-exploit tool to protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

you know any other separate tools that can help benefit in my security?

You can also add Zemana Antimalware to your collection, for on demand scans. :)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

You can also add Zemana Antimalware to your collection, for on demand scans. :)

Yea...that's a good choice for another on demand scanner.

#9 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the advise is CryptoPrevent decent? like is it good compared to Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware ? haha i will get Zemana Antimalware  allso thanks 

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

CryptoPrevent is a security tool that writes 200+ group policy object rules into the registry in order to prevent executables in specific locations from running. CryptoPrevent can be used to lock down any Windows OS to prevent infection by crypto ransomware which encrypts personal files and then offers decryption for a paid ransom. CryptoPrevent artificially implants hundreds of group policy object rules into the registry in order to block executables (*.exe, *.com *.scr and *.pif) and fake file extension executables in certain locations (i.e. %AppData%, %LocalAppData%, %userprofile%, %programdata%, Recycle Bin, Startup Folder) from running. Due to the way that CryptoPrevent works, it protects against a wide variety of malware and ransomware. There are several levels of protection but most users only need to use the default setting - "Set it and forget it" protection. The Free Edition allows you to manually check for updates regularly by using the update function inside the program. CryptoPrevent Premium offers automatic updates to the program and definitions, email alerts, and customized prevention rules for a one time low price.

CryptoPrevent has a filter module (in the installer version) which allows you to apply (enable) or disable suspicious program filtering for .cpl, .scr and .pif files which are executable files. This option is found by opening CryptoPrevent and selecting Advanced > show Advanced Options at the top. The portable version does NOT include the Filter Module...you must get the installer version to use that feature.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta is the evolution from CryptoMonitor. Malwarebytes acquired EasySync Solutions and hired Nathan Scott...see Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta Feedback and Discussion

...I'm very excited to write to you today about the relase of the new Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta! MBARW is a brand new Anti-Ransomware application by Malwarebytes that employs never before used tatics to detect and stop Ransomware before it destorys your files. MBARW is the evolution from CryptoMonitor from EasySync Solutions, which was created by myself. Malwarebytes accuired EasySync Solutions, and hired me to come work on their Anti-Ransomware team where MBARW was made. The application has evolved into a complete revolutionary application in the fight against Ransomware and is way ahead of where we left off with CryptoMonitor in terms of development.

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

In time Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware will be incorporated into MBAM. If you already have MBAM, I would recommend waiting for the new feature.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

Zemana Anti-Malware still uses the Hitman Pro engine, correct?

And, does ZAM require internet access in order to do its job with the latest database?

Edited by RolandJS, 10 February 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#13 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

thank you alot for the information about CryptoPrevent, I think i will get that :D, oo i think i will get it isn't there something called WinAntiRansom allso? yeah i have MBAM :).

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

WinAntiRansom PLUS (WAR) blocks ransomware before it can encrypt your files. WAR uses an Artificial Intelligence engine to monitor the activity of programs (what programs are doing), so it does not need to know a specific type of ransomware before it can block it. WAR requires the purchase of a license which can be used on up to five computers.

#15 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

Oh Gosh so much which one do you advise? bit stumped know.  thank you for the information  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users