Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried to Refresh to Factory Settings, accidentally cleared HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bkweibley

bkweibley

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5390 running Windows 7 Premium and it has been slow and sluggish lately.  I am in the process of building a new desktop that will be using Windows 10 so I figured I would reset my computer to factory to wipe out what ever was slowing it down and then take the free windows 10 upgrade so that I could start getting used to Windows 10 awhile.  On the Toshiba there is an internal backup so I restarted the computer and held in 0 to pull up the option to reset to factory.  Going through it all it gave the option to clear the hard drive (I assumed this ment clear the hard drive before reinstalling) but afterwards it seems as if maybe this ment to clear the hard drive, including the partition that had the backup because I now have what seems to be a totally blank computer.  I assumed I could go to Toshibas website and download what I needed to reinstall, but they want to sell you a CD, and I really dont want to spend money on a CD and wait days for it to come when I should be able to fix this myself.  The drivers are all on the website to download, but windows 7 premium is not.  Apparently it used to be online for download from the microsoft site, but is not anymore?  My windows key is on the bottom of the laptop still so I do have that.  What suggestions does anyone have?  Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

Now you know why you should always make backups to an external device.  If you can't find an install disc and drivers, you have no choice but to buy the discs you will need.  Be sure to get all the right drivers or you'll end up with devices that don't work.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

What suggestions does anyone have?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry to hear about loss of data. The Recuva utility from Piriform can still possibly find files on your hard drive. Try to run something like that product soon, as the more it is used, the more chance of files being overwritten.

#4 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

Now you know why you should always make backups to an external device.  If you can't find an install disc and drivers, you have no choice but to buy the discs you will need.  Be sure to get all the right drivers or you'll end up with devices that don't work.

Good luck.

I actually did make backup cds also, but they do not work for some reason

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

The drivers are all on the website to download, but windows 7 premium is not.  Apparently it used to be online for download from the microsoft site, but is not anymore?

That is not exactly true.  Microsoft does provide a download for Windows 7 but you need a retail key in order to get it.  An OEM key isn't acceptable.  That's because the manufacturer is responsible for providing support on OEM installs.

With the above said, the only thing left for you is to find a friend or someone else who has a Windows 7 disk or ISO that they can lend you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users