Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simplest (Best) Method Of Eliminating Gaps Between Files On An NTSF HDD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

Hello and thanks in advance for any help :) .  I've a handful of external hard drives that I use to store (mostly) large video and audio files.  They're regularly defragmented.  Over time, with files added and subtracted, the drives have developed many gaps of free space between the defragmented files. From what I've read, I can defragment the free space (compaction, I think), but this seems to involve moving entire files twice:  once to the "end" of the drive then a second time, to eliminate the gap(s) between the files, when moving them to the "beginning".  I was wondering if anyone knows of a method (software) to simply move all of the files to the "beginning" of the drive piece by piece, so that the files only need to be moved once?  It seems to me that, since the files are just bytes and they're already defragmented, it should be possible to move them section by section to the beginning of the disc, starting with the file already closest to the beginning of the disc and working out.  Does this make sense?  I've tried searching for answers but I'm having trouble finding them, probably because I'm not using the correct terms.  Other than saving seemingly half the time, several of the discs are so full that there's not enough contiguous free space to make the initial movement to then place them gaplessly.  Thanks again for any reasonable suggestions (and please feel free to ask if you don't understand what I'm asking :wink:  ).

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 09 February 2016 - 04:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users