Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updates-update all Microsoft products and tell me about new products

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

I stupidly read where if I went to change settings in the Windows Update and unchecked the box for updates to all Microsoft Products and notify me of new products.  Now I do not receive any updates to the Microsoft Office products.

I cannot get that check box back, it has totally disappeared.

What I was trying to do is eliminate the annoying Win 10 stuff that keeps coming in.  I don't want Win 10 and I don't want Microsoft's constant harassing by downloading KB3035583 all the time.

Can anyone help me get this check box back??  Unfortunately when I did it to my laptop I also did it to my sister's brand new laptop, so now I have two systems that need help.

Thank you in advance.

TryN

GOT IT!!!  Ran Secunia PSI and had to do it 3 times, but the Microsoft Updater now is working correctly!! 

Edited by tryn2learn, 09 February 2016 - 12:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:27 AM

Please close this thread for me.  Sorry for the posting.  Can't believe after struggling with this for 3 weeks, right after posting and then doing some reading on downloads on Bleeping Computer my issue got solved.

thank you!

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:38 AM

What I was trying to do is eliminate the annoying Win 10 stuff that keeps coming in.  I don't want Win 10 and I don't want Microsoft's constant harassing by downloading KB3035583 all the time.

Glad you solved your problem. As to that annoying Windows 10 stuff that keeps coming in when MS Updates is fully enabled, you should have a look at this:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Here's the link about GWX-Stopper here at BleepingComputer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599235/for-those-that-wish-to-stay-with-7/?hl=+gwx#8208stopper=

Edited by saw101, 09 February 2016 - 12:42 AM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

Thank much Saw101 for the links!!

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

My advice for windows updates is:

Untick "give me recommened updates the way i receive important ones", tick "give me updates for other microsoft products".Have updates on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" and have a weekly alarm on the your phone (or weekly pop-up done with task scheduler) telling you, every tuesday night or wednesday morning:

"time for updates! go to control panel-->windows update-->check for updates, then when it has checked click on "X important updates", untick everything, then retick all those named "Security Update for...". Then with those and only those "Security Update for..." updates selected click the button to install, let them download, disconnect from the internet once the download finishes, then restart as soon as it asks you to."

Or, more ideally than the simple rule of "Security Updates only", you can check each update's description at the "more information" link which is shown when you select it on the list of updates being offered, and use the information there, or at places like my "windows updates monitoring thread" on this site, or multiple information sources, to weight up the pros and cons of each update individually. This will in most circumstances still lead to only installing the "Security Update for..." updates but it will sometimes help you get a useful bug fix you would otherwise have missed or avoid a buggy update until a fixed version is released.

Edited by rp88, 10 February 2016 - 03:35 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

rp88,

Thanks, already been doing that.  But the darn Win 10 somehow got by me in my hurry I suspect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users