Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I do the free upgrade to Win 10 after I format my HDD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

I have a new laptop running Win 10 & I love it!! I have an older Acer laptop running a legal version of Win7.
I've been getting notices to upgrade to Win10. I've had all kinds of issues with the Acer laptop over the years.
Many of this issue I've posted on this forum with great success. Here is what I'd like to do.
-Once I get all important files off the Acer HDD I want to reformat it.
-I've had so many issues in the past I would just feel more comfortable starting fresh with formatted HDD.
-I want to put Win 10 on the freshly formatted Acer HDD.

So is this possible? Can I get Free Win 10 from MS on a formatted or brand new HDD? A friend said I should just
clean the HDD without doing the formatting. I understand that but I'm just concerned there could be errors,
viruses other problems deeply hidden in the HDD. Can anyone provide suggestions on this situation?
Thanks!!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mhrtry

mhrtry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:52 AM

I'm just a novice myself, but I'd try reinstalling Win7 on your Acer, then upgrading to Win10. As long as you still have the activation code for Win7 on the Acer, Win10 should install. Installing a new copy of Win7 formats the drive during the installation. The installation process when upgrading to Win10 looks for activation code, then proceeds. You may also download an ISO image of Win10 from Microsoft which can be burned to disc. Hope this helps.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

Hi yorocco7 :)

Your plan of action looks good to me. Since the November Update (Windows 10 TH2), it is possible to clean install Windows 10, and use a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key to activate it, so it'll work, yes. What I suggest you to do is to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website, and then use it to download and .iso of the Windows 10 edition/version you want, and then burn that .iso on a CD or DVD, or use RUFUS to make a bootable USB with it (make sure to use the right settings, depending if you use BIOS, UEFI, GPT, MBR, etc.)

Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO
RUFUS: https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

If you have any questions concerning your settings, installation, etc. feel free to ask :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

If you do it that way, you'll need to be sure you have all the drivers you'll need.  This is especially true with laptops because most of the parts are proprietary, unlike desktops.  Touchpads and WiFi adapters are particularly subject to driver problems.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users