Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command prompt open after waking computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Destarah

Destarah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

Client of mine called me this morning concerned about waking up his computer and seeing a command prompt open with the following in it ...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]

© 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\NOTREALNAME>net use m: \\tsclient\storage

System error 87 has occurred.

The parameter is incorrect.

C:\Users\NOTREALNAME>copy /Y m:\dinner.exe

The system cannot find the drive specified.

Obviously I have not included the actually user account name, but has anyone ever seen something like this before? My client is a long-time subscriber to Norton, and I would imagine his system is as tight as Norton can make it. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, and I will be sure to remind him to stay away from SpyHunter :-P

Destarah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:05 AM

I have had a similar bug, I think its driver related somehow or has something to do with the windows 7 to 10 upgrade path.

For me it went away after I reinstalled windows 10 but you may not have to be so drastic.

check the drivers and create a secondary account to see if any errors show up.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 mitekcomputers

mitekcomputers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

I am thinking this is probably just a link to a mapped drive/pc that is no longer available. The drive has probably been moved or disconnected from his lan or the computer that holds the mapped drive needs rebooted.

The first error states it cannot find the mapped drive, the second error states it cannot copy a file it needs to copy to the mapped drive because it doesn't exist. This is probably just a simple task setup in task scheduler or within the profile for that user on that computer or maybe even a mapped drive shortcut in the startup folder.

Disconnecting the mapped drive and removing the commands on startup would solve the issue, but more than likely the person needs that map.

Have your client disconnect the mapped drive and see if the error does not disappear.. if it does, reboot the computer that has the drive being shared, and then simply re-establish the mapped drive on the users computer.

If the mapped drive system is actually connected to the network and is shared as it should be, then your clients computer should then see that system and carry out the commands,

If none oft his works then it probably means that one or possibly both of these systems have lost local lan connectivity (something like a workgroup name change, domain name missing etc)

Mike/Mitek

#4 Destarah

Destarah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

I forwarded your thoughts to my client and he responded this afternoon ... here is his response.

It was a Trojan horse virus called dinner.exe. It was stopped by Norton at around 2a this past Sunday. I found the stop in the log report. I did run a Norton full system scan on Monday, with no results. I ran a Malewarebytes scan today that found 20, deep issues, which it resolved. For extra measure I am going to run Spybot tomorrow.

So there we have it, thought you would want to know and +1 to him for using Malwarebytes :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users