Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Could Go Here Or Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ibdan61

ibdan61

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

Well hello again and let me start by thanking whomever for thier great help and efforts ahead of time. Here goes....... My g/f does the billing for her dad's company on an old slow dinosaur Compaq running Win 98 that he bought for her years ago. Well seems he must have been doing ok because he just bought her a new PC running Win XP Pro with a nice flat panel monitor and the works. Well instead of having whoever his guru is do this he just brought the computer by the other day and said "Here ,I think it's time for a new machine....enjoy!" Well I have had no problem getting it all set up and connected to the internet and whatnot but she stumped me last night, she told me that thier is actually nothing on the old Compaq HD that she needs or even wants actually other than her database inputs to Microsoft Excel (i.e. clients' names and addresses and repeat monthly billing,etc.) Well I figured , hmmmm, no big deal all I'll have to do is copy all that info to a floppy and then import it to the Excel program on the new computer, a cinch. Well , as usual, I guess I am not the genius I wished I were or made her believe I am because I have been up all night long trying one thing after another and I am almost to the point of inputing the data into the new computer the old school way.....reading from one monitor and typing to another, but I know there is something I am missing because there HAS to be a simpler method than that! Well there is my dilemma, any and all suggestions or directions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Dan

Edited by ibdan61, 30 July 2006 - 08:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

If you have them connected to a LAN (router, hub or switch) use the "Map a Network Drive" feature in the "Tools" in "My Computer". Once mapped you can simply drag and drop from the old hard drive to the new hard drive.

Map a Network Drive

If you do not have a router you can still use a crossover cable connecting the two computers directly thru the ethernet ports.

http://www.drbillbailey.net/share.html

Hope this helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

I'm not an Excel user, but how are you getting the files in the first place? Are you backing Excel up to a folder, then copying the contents to the floppy, then importing it into a newly-installed version of Excel on the new computer? Does this info help?

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:39 PM

Well I have not personally tested this, but you could try loading usb 2.0 drivers onto the 98 computer and you may be able to use a flash drive. Otherwise you could also go through the complicated, tedius, and time wasting process of setting up the old hard drive as a slave in the new computer, but it's always harder than it sounds.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

Edit: I missed that this was posted on Jul 30 2006, 09:15 AM. :thumbsup:

Hi, ibdan61: There are many ways that you can do this, as you can see from the posts above. I will give you another method. This method assumes that you have a diskette drive in both computers, and the file is small enough to fit on the diskette drive.

Step #1 -Save to the diskette drive.
Put a diskette in the old computer.
Go into Excel.
Click File, Save As
From the Drop down Save in, Select the 3 1/2 Floppy(A:)
You can use the same filename. Click Save.
Close Excel and remove the disk from the drive.

Step #2 -Open the file on the new computer
On the new computer....
Put the diskette in the drive that you copied the file to in Step#1
Go into Excel.
Click File, Open.
From the Drop down Look in, Select the 3 1/2 Floppy(A:)
Select your file.
Click Open

Step #3 -Save the file on the new computer
With Excel still open from Step #2
Click File, Save As
From the Drop down Save in, Select the My Documents folder, or somewhere the you feel comfortable saving to.(Ask your g/f)
You can use the same filename. Click Save.

Another way that I have used in the past is to email the files to myself from the old computer.(this is only practical if you have 1 or 2 files that are needed) On the new computer, I would save the attachments to the location that I store my files.(My Documents)

XP also comes with the File Transfer Wizard. Take a look at this document - FILE & SETTINGS TRANSFER

USB keys are great, and I would recommend that you could use it as part of a backup routine with that file, but they require a driver to be installed if you are using them on a Windows 98 computer.

Good-Luck.

Edit: I missed that this was posted on Jul 30 2006, 09:15 AM. :flowers:

Edited by Joshuacat, 11 September 2006 - 07:33 AM.

JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users