Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent loss of Internet access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amn70

amn70

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

A client of mine is experiencing intermittent loss of web access. Wifi connection is established and solid when it is occurring and another laptop in the house that uses the same wifi has no issues so can't see it being a router or provider issue. One strange things is whenever the problem arises and I have established connection to it via Teamviewer I do NOT lose the Teamviewer connection but if a Teamviewer connection has not yet been established prior to loss of access than Teamviewer on the client machine is unable to accept connections. I have repaired DNS and Winsock using Tweaking. I have checked it for virus and malware and nothing was found. I uninstalled Avast Pro as initially I thought its Webshield or SecureDNS might have been the cause. Laptop is running Windows 8.1. Not sure what else it could be. Unless someone has any suggestions I am at a point where I think I am just going to wipe it and reload it.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

I have the fix if this is happening on a Windows 10 system.  However you failed to say whether it's that or some other version.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 amn70

amn70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

I have the fix if this is happening on a Windows 10 system.  However you failed to say whether it's that or some other version.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I did mention it toward the bottom of my original post. It's Windows 8.1

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

Yes you DID say 8.1, sorry I missed it earlier.  I'm sure you know the further you get from the router, the weaker the WiFi signal gets in proportion to the square of the distance (the inverse square law).  Sometimes routers can go bad, so depending on its age, it might need replacing.  The latest WiFi standard, 802.11AC is supposed to cover greater distances than earlier standards, so if the client's WiFi adapter can handle that, you could go with that.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users