Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

covering bases

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nottah

nottah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

I just got a call from my sister who is in the hospital with our mother. She had just got a new laptop for school, which I had updated to windows 10 and had all the patches and software updated minus the factory bloat.

She was doing research for a class. which had the students visiting websites in other countries ( MTV ) and I guess she got a popup window about defender with a telephone number. Suffice to say, she calls me afterwords to ask me about how to fix the issue. I said (as I have always said) do not click on the popups and to immediately close the browser process.

So it turns out she actually called the number!! and let them in her PC! I told her to shift restart and reinstall, deleting everything. Is there anything I should worry about with them actually having access to the system for the time they did have ?

Are we out of the woods per say, by doing a complete wipe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Reinstalling cleaned up the computer. If she gave them her credit card info she needs to dispute the charges.

As you know, it was definitely criminals behind the scam ad. They generally attempt to convince whoever calls them

that their computer is infected and then charge them for doing nothing. They will attempt to sell a worthless program

and / or try to sell a maintenance program. All entirely worthless.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 TazzyOpz

TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Tell her to dispute the charges immediately! If she sent the money via Paypal it should be easy to do by just clicking the dispute label where the receipt purchase is and fill out what happened. It may be better for you to fill it out and describe what happened) letting them know your mother didn't know it was a scam, etc ,etc.. I'd also attempt to do some virus scans. I know a lot of those people will put Malicious Dormant software that wont become active for a few weeks or so.. And all of the sudden they get pop ups again with the same number to call them back. Then they end up "Cleaning up the computer" and charging them again. And the process repeats. It's a way for criminals to get a quick buck off the elderly that don't know much about computers.

Edited by TazzyOpz, 08 February 2016 - 07:12 PM.

Software Developer & Malware Analyst
Programming Langues: VB.net, C#, Java, & HTML.
Reverse Engineering/Tracking Tool familiarity: Ollydbg, IDA, CE, & Wireshark
My Website

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

TazzyOpz....he reinstalled...that wipes any malware on the hdd. It's his sister's...not his mom's computer.

Edited by buddy215, 08 February 2016 - 07:45 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 nottah

nottah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

Thank you for all your input! She did not give any information out, however she did say that the person on the phone said such and such virus was found in certain places. I figured the laptop being less than a few weeks old and with all schoolwork basically being in the cloud nowadays,  the clean install ( gotta love win10 delete all recovery) was the way to go.

Also even though not applicable, very good information TazzyOpz.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:38 AM

You're welcome....

I doubt these criminals will attempt to call her though they do have her phone #. We have seen many such

reports of members getting phone calls from criminals claiming to be representing Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't call to warn you about anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users