Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC powersupply problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Wasp

The Wasp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

After I changed the Graphics Card in my PC my PS only runs for an instant.  Bought another PS and installed it but the problem didn't go away.  Changed the MoBo but, again, the power is only on for an instant and then it's gone.  A friend said that I should buy another MoBo and that may fix the problem.

Before this problem started I was using a Sapphire HD 6450 Graphics Card without any problem.  It was teamed with a Gigabyte GA 970 Gaming MoBo but the Sapphire Graphics Card took its time getting Win 10 up and running.  It was suggested that I get another Graphics Card which would speed things up a bit.  So I bought a HIS Radion R9 280 IceQ X Graphics Card and put it in my PC inplace of the Sapphire HD 6450.  And after that the PC would try to run, which it did for only an instant, and then it would turn itself off.  Putting the Sapphire back in the PC again did no good.  The PC would only run for an instant and then turn itself back off again.

Has anybody any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

so pretty much the only thing you havent replaced is the RAM. Have you tried a different power cord. just ruling out other options.

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

What is the wattage of the PSUs you have used? Are they reliable brands?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 The Wasp

The Wasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

The RAM is new and the PS that I'm trying to use is a 'be quiet' Straight Power 10 600W.

#5 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:02 AM

Does the power supply have a switch for 120/220V on it?  If it does and you are plugging it into 120V outlet, you will get behavior that looks like it wants to work, but fails if you put more load on it.

When you replaced the video card, you remembered to power down and unplug from the wall?

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#6 The Wasp

The Wasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

The PS has only one switch which connects or disconnects it to the power cable.  The power cable is OK because

I can measure 4.5v dc at pin 14 when the PS is turned on.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

my PC my PS only runs for an instant

This is only a first thought that crossed my mind, but..... check the power cable that connects from the CPU heatsink fan to where it plugs into the mainboard; it may have loosened, or popped off when you installed the vid card, especially if your box is like mine and every slot taken and jammed to the hilt. On my first build back in the dark ages I plugged the CPU fan cable into the wrong connector on the mainboard and spent a solid hour scratching my head as to why the unit would first power up and immediately shut down.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 The Wasp

The Wasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

I Found it!

It turned out to be a Front Panel Card Reader that was brand new.  Naturally I thought 'if it's new' it must be OK.  That will teach me.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

Good grief...who would have ever suspected something like that.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

how did you figure that out lol

#11 The Wasp

The Wasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

I kept removing and/or  disconnecting things connected to the Power Supply until it started running again.

In this respect a 'modular' PS has an advantage in that you can disconnect the cabling one at a time from

the Power Supply without too much trouble.

One problem that users will encounter when setting up the MoBo is with the six or so small connectors that

are from your PC case and are plugged onto the "Board".   These wires should be color coded according to

the User Manual but they are not.  If that they are, its a coding system that you may or may not recognize.

And if these wires are attached incorrectly then they don't do what the books says.  The connections are

clearly marked in the User's Manual with a "+" and a "-" but they forgot to tell the people who built my Case

what color "-" is, so it's trial and error. 

It doesn't matter which way Power switch is plugged in, but there are some Leds on the front panel that don't

work if the leads are reversed.  

It has been my observation the "builders" of these 'toys' consistently have all the connectors in this area facing

the same way.   By  that I mean the markings are all facing the same way.

Thomas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users