Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown icon appeared then disappeared in task bar?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 miscoegg

miscoegg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

Hi, pretty much as the title describes.

I logged on, clicked firefox icon, then while waiting for it to start an icon appeared in the task bar, briefly turned green (from left to right as in when something is updating) then disappeared straight away.

From the brief moment I saw it I can guess it was a white shape of somekind! 

Anyone have any ideas? I ran a full scan on Kaspersky and nothing showed 

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hard to say with that description. Check your installed programs for anything suspicious. I almost wonder if it was Firefox updating, or an addon in the browser. I haven't used Firefox in awhile, so I haven't paid attention to if anything runs visibly in the task bar during an update on launch.

Can you reproduce it if you reboot and open Firefox again?

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

If you use the tip to Remove or Clear past icons from the tray the icon should be on the list of past icons and the description could eventually help to ID the program associated.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hi,

If you use the tip to Remove or Clear past icons from the tray the icon should be on the list of past icons and the description could eventually help to ID the program associated.

Oooo, clever, never thought of using that as a trick. Thanks for the tip.  :thumbup2:

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 miscoegg

miscoegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi, tried the past icons tip but nothing there I can see that looked like this icon. I'll see if it comes up again on reboot! Thanks for your suggestions so far.

#6 miscoegg

miscoegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

Hmm, nothing on reboot either...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users