Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching between UEFI and CSM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:46 AM

Hi,

I've created a multiboot Live USB with several linux distros and emergency kits using YUMI. I want to try it on a Windows 8 laptop by disabling secure boot and changing to CMS boot. Do I get boot problems with Windows 8 when changing the boot option to UEFI boot again when I'm finished?

Thanks.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

No.  You shouldn't have any problems.  When I was on Windows 8.1, I used a multiboot USB many times and never had an issue.  And, in case you still have doubts, I created that bootable drive with YUMI too.

Also, in my own UEFI firmware, I have the option to set my Boot order to CSM but to boot UEFI first if a UEFI system is detected.  I always set my UEFI up this way.  Whenever I am booting normally from my internal hard drive (which has a UEFI system) it boots in UEFI mode.  Whenever I want to boot from the bootable drive I just hit F12 during startup to enter my Boot Options and choose the bootable drive.  No need to be dipping in your UEFI settings all the time.  BTW, your hot key to get into the Boot Options may be different from mines.

Last of all, I know it may be obvious, but you must turn Secure Boot off.

Edited by Agouti, 08 February 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#3 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

I am not sure if I have an option like yours to boot UEFI first. Unfortunately I cannot check it right now.

However, thanks for the help.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users