Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OK to run Bitdefender Total Security 2016 and Malwarebytes concurrently?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xoxx

xoxx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:20 AM

I've been doing this w/o incident on 3 machines for years. However BD tech support gives me a hard time about it on those occasions when I've needed to call them; and I'm aware that one isn't supposed to use 2 antivirus solutions. But MBAM isn't an antivirus...right? I'm very happy with both these programs and they seem to play nice together, but I don't want to crash my computer. Thanks 

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2016 - 09:49 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

xoxx:

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.  I run Bitdefender 2016 Total Security, plus MBAM Premium (which is not an anti-virus, as you stated) and MBAE Premium.  I have exceptions configured in BDTS 2016 as suggested by Malwarebytes.

I have not had any issues whatsoever.  I visit the BD and MBAM Forums daily and have not seen any reports of BD not playing nicely with MBAM, particularly when the exceptions are configured.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 xoxx

xoxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Thanks. I'll check the configuration settings for both. As I said I've had no problems but when I do (with BD, never MBam) I'm told to uninstall MBAM--- and this is required to make repairs or reinstall of BD, Thus my concern about a conflict. Malwarebytes anti-exploit has also saved me on a couple of occasions; and Glasswire network monitor works well with these too in my experience.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hi, @xoxx:

As @garioch7 mentioned, you should be fine.
But each computer is unique, so one cannot predict with absolute certainty how things will work on any particular system.
And, among the various AVs, BD does seem to be the most temperamental about peaceful cohabitation with MBAE Premium and MBAM Premium.

To exclude an AV folder from MBAM, go to Settings > Malware Exclusions > Add Folder and then navigate to the BD folder.
And the instructions below list the MBAM files to exclude in BD and your firewall.

If you run into problems, please feel free to post back, either here, or (preferably) at the MBAM support forum and we will help you.

HTH,
MM
---------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it, as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Edited by MoxieMomma, 08 February 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

I've been doing this w/o incident on 3 machines for years. However BD tech support gives me a hard time about it on those occasions when I've needed to call them...

The techs at Microsoft will tell you the same thing when using Windows Defender 8/10, however, they do so it's ok to use Malwarebytes as a stand-alone scanner. Trend Micro advises to remove Malwarebytes and similar programs before installing their software. In the past, Norton Internet Security also required removal before installation.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance as indicated above by MM.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Just a few additional comments, based on my experience with Bitdefender (BD) and MBAM and MBAE.  I have found that BD will interfere with version upgrades of MBAM and MBAE.  I shut off the BD Anti-Virus Active Scanning and Intrusion Protection modules, and the MBAM and MBAE version upgrades then succeed.

When upgrading to a new version of BD, you will have fewer issues if you Deactivate and then uninstall MBAM, and uninstall MBAE as well.  That is a bit of a pain, but BD only issues new versions annually.  MBAM does have a "Clean" utility.  Just make sure to deactivate your MBAM first, so that you don't get a message about exceeding your licence limit when you reinstall it and try to activate it again.  The MBAM "Clean" utility might do that automatically, I don't know.  I always deactivate MBAM manually before running the MBAM "Clean" utility.  Once the new version of BD is installed, then you simply reinstall MBAM and MBAE and reactivate both.

I should have included that information in my original post.  I must have been having a "senior moment" to have forgotten to include that important information. :)

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

For those who need it...the link for MBAM Clean Uninstall Tool (mbam-clean.exe) and directions are in this topic.

-- If using the Premium version, you will need to reactivate Malwarebytes' using the license ID and key you were sent by email. Make sure you save that information so it is readily available when reinstalling.

#8 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

I have had trouble with Bitdefender interfering with VirtualBox and also with AMD Crimson video driver installs in Windows 10. When I contacted BD tech support they wanted me to uninstall Malware Bytes Premium - which I will not do. I haven't had any problems with the two coexisting before.

BD tech support also advised me to change my BD 2015 licence to a new web based email setup and to install BD 2016 after that. When I uninstalled BD 2015 the MyBitdefender site would not allow me to transform my licence, nor to install the latest Bitdefender ( I only have a couple of months left on my licence.)

At this point I gave up and have switched over to ESET which also works fine with Malware Bytes Premium

Edited by raymac46, 16 February 2016 - 11:41 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

When choosing any software, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor is always a consideration. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of a vendor's product is one reason folks look for other alternatives. If it is a paid product, folks speak with their wallets.

#10 xoxx

xoxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

You folks are amazing!  I'm new here and with this first post plus a bit of exploring the site I can see what a vital, supportive community this is. I'm impressed and deeply grateful.

Moderator, I'm also new to forums in general. I say this because I'm posting a link here to a Washington Post article on 'perfect passwords': not specifically germane to this topic but surely of interest. Let me know if I should have done this differently/not posted in this thread. I'll post in the security thread as well because this solution is brilliant for those who need to remember a unique un-crackable password. There's a link in the article to generate your own. Thanks 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/22/these-researchers-have-discovered-the-perfect-password-thats-also-easy-to-remember/

"These passwords might seem a little odd, but they're actually very, very secure. At current speeds, Knight estimates that cracking these passwords would take around 5 million years. By which point, we probably won't be using Facebook anymore."

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

Security is all about layers, and not depending on any one technology or approach to detect or save you from the latest threats. The most important layer in that security defense? You! Most threats succeed because they take advantage of human weaknesses (laziness, apathy, ignorance, etc.), and less because of their sophistication.

Krebs on Security

...falling victim to data breaches that resulted from attackers exploiting employees or company vendors. Unfortunately, along with exposing millions of identities these attacks also reveal what is often the weakest link in enterprise data security the human element...

Social Engineering: Attacking the Weakest Link in the Security Chain

Humans are a weak link in cyber security, and hackers and social manipulators know this. They try to trick people into getting past security walls. They design their actions to appear harmless and legitimate.

FBI: Internet Social Networking Risks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users